ATX Community

Sitting in a Drake presentation.

Jack from Ohio

One of the earliest things Iearned about Drake was the usefulness of their tutorials. I began watching them in earnest the weekend before I made the decision to abandon ATX and buy Drake. Then when I began using Drake the next week, I realized that much of what I was doing as I set up new clients was mirrored in the tutorials. So I began running the applicable tutorial on one monitor while doing my data entry on the other monitor. In many ways it was like having someone from Drake sitting there beside me as I did my data entry.

I'm so pleased with Drake that this year I'm going to take advantge of the early purchase discount. Frankly I never trusted any other software vendor enough to do that. But based on what I already knew about them in years past, along with my personal experience this tax season, I can say without hesitation that this company is different. They have high integrity (something tht is lacking with many of thier competitors) and their software is especially fast. Drake discounts $400 through May 31, then the price rises $100 per month until it hits the regular price.

For the first time in about 15 years I thought about not taking advantage any company's early renewal, but after using Drake for the last few months, I decided that I'd be using Drake for the next season. On Thursday I placed my order for the unlimited use package and I feel good about my decision.

Guest Taxed

I hope Drake gears up for next season with the increased # of users. My rep tells me that they have been extremely busy signing up Taxworks, ATX and other defunct software users. They will need more customer service people. Many of the new users will use most of those resources.

Warren Drake himself told us that 5,000+ new people signed in Feb & Mar. They have already geared up. This is NOT a corporation. This is a company that was founded by a man and his family and has stayed true to providing a product that their customers want, can use efficiently and is "lean & mean" without fluff.

Average wait time for tech support went from 6 seconds last year, to an average of 9 seconds this year with the influx of new people. I may have trouble adapting to a 9 second wait for tech support. After all, that is a 50% increase in wait time from last year!!!

The demonstration he did live showed that, with some use and training, the entire process is fast, solid and dependable.

The rumor that Drake is still a DOS program is an urban myth as they reconfigured to a TRUE Windows based program several years ago.

If anyone wants to see the STRAIGHT UPFRONT TRUTH about Drake tax software, sign up for one of the free seminars he is doing around the county. It will be worth a plane trip to go see it.

Jack, one thing the rep at the presentation I attended said that even during their busiest time, that the calls are answered pronto, and it's not because they hire additional people for the season. It is because everyone that works for the company is trained in how to use the program. She said that even Phil Drake himself answers the phone if it is *that* busy, but it is NOT a good day if he has to do that...because it means that everyone is busy answering tech or help-type calls.

I know you'll be testing this summer, so be sure to give the program a good sampling of your OH and local returns too.

Guest Taxed

Let's see 5000 new users x $1395 a copy is $6,975,000 additional gross revenue. Thanks to Taxworks, ATX etc. The new business just fell in Phil's lap.

Let's see 5000 new users x $1395 a copy is $6,975,000 additional gross revenue. Thanks to Taxworks, ATX etc. The new business just fell in Phil's lap.

You really have a warped sense of capitalism. It did not "fall into his lap," they had a superior product, with superior customer service, designed and developed by computer code writers that are tax professionals too.

Their business started in the 80's and now they are reaping the results of doing it right.

Guest Taxed

Drake had the same superior product in 2012 and they did not see a sharp increase in sales compared to 2013. It was the failure of Taxworks and ATX that drove most of those new sales. Can your simple mind understand that Jack? After all you have been posting about ATX issues for months. Of all people you should know by now what is driving the new sales towards Drake.

I too switched to Drake.

I think your two posts are like washing one's hands. Both work together inseperably for the end result. Having a great product with a long history of reliability will certainly keep your current customers on board and will PROBABLY produce steady growth. Then, when a major competitor stumbles, you're in a position to reap a windfall.

Drake's unique combination of efficiency, customer service, and corporate integrity creates another major problem for their competitors. I don't have any statistics to back this up, but I'm guessing Drake has a very low attrition rate. Once they get someone on board, the customer is very unlikely to leave. So any company losing business to Drake should probably adapt to the reality that this is business which for the most part is never coming back.

Guest Taxed

Drake does have a low attrition rate as per the tax software survey results.

I have been impressed with Drake since I was forced to give up Taxworks.

I am hoping I would not have to switch again soon!