ATX Community

Eric - TRX Discussion Forum

Terry D EA

Eric,

Was just wondering if we really need to maintain the TRX discussion forum. Since the software doesn't appear to exist any longer and all of the issues during tax season are over, plus no one is really visiting it, is there really a need to continue it? There are a few other software companies that others are using that we don't get any feedback on. For instance, TaxSlayer Pro is one that is competative and very solid software and this is just my opinion. I used this software this season to get out of the TRX snafu without incidence. However, I know there are some shortcomings and would like to hear from others. I know it would be a bit much to have a place for each software vendor and maybe taking a pole would help indicate which ones folks were most interested in might be a good idea. Maybe there will be some response to this post that may help with that. What say ye everybody?

I am always open to creating new vendor-specific areas. I worry about creating a vendor-specific forum without enough users to keep the forum moving a long, however. I'll start one for TaxSlayer and see how it goes, but if it stagnates, I may end up removing it, but no harm done in trying it out.

I've got some other forum management stuff to take care of (have to get rid of the Software Issues forum too) so I'll take care of it all at the same time.

Perhaps a solution would be to just have a separate forum devoted to all other vendors, and unless and until it became apparent that some particular vendor was dominating that forum leave it like that. I don't know how difficult it is to set up a separate forum, and I certainly don't want to cause Eric unnecessary extra work. I think we all appreciate all that he already does.

• Like 1

Guest Taxed

Good point Gail. I think we can get an idea in a few months from our software survey which tax prep software is most popular (at least for those who voted). I would encourage all users to vote and that may give us an idea which software specific forums to setup that will have a lot of activity.

I do agree that many less popular software should have a generic forum "Other Tax Prep Software" so that users of those can have their give and take!

Gail, I couldn't agree with you more. matter of fact, I like your suggestion the best. I jsut thought the space would be better used on something current then something that doesn't exist. If you visit that the TRX forum, I think you will see it really doesn't get much activity any more and because of the multiple problems with TaxEact/TRX I don't think you will see anyone use it at all. Eric does do a huge amount for us and I for one greatly appreciate it.

I am always open to creating new vendor-specific areas. I worry about creating a vendor-specific forum without enough users to keep the forum moving a long, however. I'll start one for TaxSlayer and see how it goes, but if it stagnates, I may end up removing it, but no harm done in trying it out.

I've got some other forum management stuff to take care of (have to get rid of the Software Issues forum too) so I'll take care of it all at the same time.

I would rethink getting rid of Software Issues. The software still does not work properly for many users and 2013 is being reprogrammed from the ground up and could have a whole new set of "Software Issues".

I wasn't talking about eliminating the software issues forum, I think that should stay simply for the reasons Joel has stated. The one with TRX is the one that I am speaking of.

No offense Terry, I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to post 2 by Eric which indicated he wanted to get rid of the Software Issues forum too!

"I've got some other forum management stuff to take care of (have to get rid of the Software Issues forum too) so I'll take care of it all at the same time."

No, I don't agree about getting rid of "TRX". Is there any benefit?

The company still seems to exist...and in the future, people who buy it or want to buy it might do a Google search. I think the information (or, should I say warning) would be invaluable.

That's how I found this forum.

Might want to give removing this forum a second thought. I just received two e-mails from TRX, one personally from Doug Hughes asking me to demo their software and give my opinion. Maybe due to the number of people who have used this software in the past, and if the stated improvments are indeed fact, then maybe some will return. Is TRX making a comeback??? I don't know but maybe they are trying to. Personally, I don't have time to beta test another product as I am testing one now and ATX in August. It is fact that TRX failed miserably this year but everyone should get a second chance. Just my thoughts.