ATX Community

Living/work space accounting

joanmcq

I have a new s-corp client for whom I'm setting up the books. They have just rented a live/work space part of which will be their personal residence, part of which will be used in the business as a classroom & studio. I believe the space was rented personally, not by the corp, but I'll have to check on it. I was thinking, if not rented by the corp, the best way to deal with the expenses will be an accountable plan.

Does anyone here have experience with live/work spaces that could give me some pointers? This type of arrangement is becoming more popular here, and it's likely this will not be my only client with this issue.

Good point Lynn! The corp can't rent from the individuals under the self-rental rules. This is one of those 'dream clients'. Not only because they want to set up everything right from the start and understand what running a corp entails, but are in the position to do a lot of referrals!