ATX Community

Office In Home

MAMalody

It has been a few years since I have a had a client with office in two different homes (moved during the year). Offices are qualifying. Schedule C. It seemed that last time I had them that I prepared two 8829s and then combined them into one and that is what went with the return.

ATX allows you to make two different 8829s, home 1 and home 2 and send them to the Schedule C. All the math works, however, what is actually transmitted? Do I need to combine onto one 8829 if this was to be paper filed (it will probably be e-file as all but one return last year was e-filed).

A quick search did not show any procedural help from the IRS that I could find.

What say you?

Mike

It has been a few years since I have a had a client with office in two different homes (moved during the year). Offices are qualifying. Schedule C. It seemed that last time I had them that I prepared two 8829s and then combined them into one and that is what went with the return.

ATX allows you to make two different 8829s, home 1 and home 2 and send them to the Schedule C. All the math works, however, what is actually transmitted? Do I need to combine onto one 8829 if this was to be paper filed (it will probably be e-file as all but one return last year was e-filed).

A quick search did not show any procedural help from the IRS that I could find.

What say you?

Mike

I moved in May last year. I'm preparing TWO separate forms. If you combined them into one you would have to come up with weighted average figures, then change them next year since the weighted average numbers would roll over. This might look strange to the IRS if you changed the cost of the home from the figure shown on the Form for the last part of 2007.

I did one for a client last year, and it did not calculate correctly, regarding the depreciation limitation and interest/taxes expense. It seems ATX calculated one form at a time. Anyway, I did a workaround by moving things around between the two forms to make them calculate the depreciation limits correctly.

I moved in May last year. I'm preparing TWO separate forms. If you combined them into one you would have to come up with weighted average figures, then change them next year since the weighted average numbers would roll over. This might look strange to the IRS if you changed the cost of the home from the figure shown on the Form for the last part of 2007.

But it should calculate each form separately. I think you have to manually enter the interest/taxes rather than just checking the box to bring it from the Sch. A, but the depreciation should be calculated based on when the office was either put into service or taken out of service. Utlilites and other expenses are per house. and then the limitations would be based on percentage of income earned per location.