ATX Community

Just Venting (Re:IRS)

MsTabbyKats

Good luck on that, Tabby! My position on this type of client is, as long as I get all the income, I'll just go with the expenses they provide me. As to whether I have all the income, at least most professional performers, in my experience, keep a diary of their dates on stage, if nothing else. So I'd look at that, and match what 1099s I had to that, then ask about the missing ones. And, of course, the responsibility is always the client's, not mine, if I don't have it. [Yes, I did occassionally add a thousand or five for 'cash payments', when my 'spider sense' told me the numbers were too low, Never had a client object, either.]

Hopefully you can get something from the IRS.

We had an IRS auditor doing an audit in our office a couple of weeks ago . In chatting with him we mentioned how the IRS response time even on the practitioner hotline is taking forever. He said, "It will only get worse." Not encouraging for an agency that says it considers us stakeholders.

The biggest reason I've heard from my IRS contacts is that so many experienced people are taking retirement. And the new hires are just not ready to be given free rein, yet, but are being thrown into the fire anyway.

Yes...I had an issue a couple of months ago...and the rep admitted she was new and didn't know what she was doing.

• Like 1