ATX Community

Just Venting (Re:IRS)

MsTabbyKats

I have a client who "doesn't remember" if she got any W-2s or 1099-Miscs for her work in 2012.

So, I figured, let's fill out an 8821 and call the "tax preparer's hotline", and I can fax it in while speaking to the rep.

Less than 2 weeks ago:

One hour on hold (I kept getting messages that hold time was 15 minutes)....and then after an hour...click...it disconnects

So...I faxed in the 8821 to wherever it's supposed to be faxed to.

About a week ago:

I call back the "tax preparer's hotline" @ 8:30 AM.....and again..."your wait time is in excess of 15 minutes"

After more much than 15 minutes on hold, I decided to hang up and call the "regular number" in a few days....because the 8821 should be posted by then.

Today...@ 8:30 I called "the regular number" and after 15 minutes I get a rep

She said that the 8821 I had faxed in is not posted yet.

She said I can fax the 8821 to her directly (I didn't know this....I thought you could only do this with the "tax preparer's hotline".)

So....I faxed it to her

Then, she tells me that it takes faxes about 20 minutes to show up on her screen! (Meanwhile she's probably filing her nails......lol)

So...I'm holding for 20 minutes....and it's not there yet.

Well, I have a life....I told her that I'd call back in another week or so....when something should be posted.

Has anyone else had issues like this?

As far as my client....

I informed her that if I cannot get information within a week or so....I'd just prepare it with what I have....and if the IRS adjusts it to add "forgotten income"....I'd amend!

That is the pain of the sequester you are feeling! I have waited for close to an hour to speak to a live rep and I only fax then. It does take some time until the rep can view it and that wait is critical, you can't give up at that point.

Do not call on Monday or Friday.

Why can't your client get a duplicate w2 from her employer? Did she file an extension?

Oh, that must be it.

This NEVER happened in the past - instant service was the norm before the sequester...

IRS never gave or promised to give Instant service even during its best days. But this year they did warn us of delays due to sequester.

I know it's "sequestration"......and yes, I have speakerphone. But, I need to "do other things" and make "other calls" so I can't tie up the phone indefinitely (and then get a disconnect anyway...lol)!

My client doesn't have "an employer" per se. She does "stand-up comedy" all over the country. She does not have a clue about "what state, how much, when, withholding" etc.

She said "Oh, you know, I think I did get more jobs in 2013..."

Extension....what's that?

I did 2011 for her about a week ago....

Edited to add....she pays me VERY well

IRS never gave or promised to give Instant service even during its best days. But this year they did warn us of delays due to sequester.

Hmmm....I always got "instant service" with the preparer's hot line until sequestration.

And also...being referred to "complicated cases for foreign issues"....if I called the main number.

I'm just really venting....I'm not expecting a solution.

>>> Edited to add....she pays me VERY well

That says it all. I guess you will have to put up with this BS, otherwise you would have fired the client!

Oh...I did fire her.

On 4/10/12 she e-mailed me to say she'd be in NYC "Monday" and has her stuff. Her "stuff" was about 1000 stock transactions....many of which did not have a basis (most were "see attached"). But, in the prior years (2009 & 2010) I had to hand enter each and every one. So, on 4/10/12...I was just not in the mood to do her return (even though she paid well). I think I told her I was "cutting back".

I referred her to a colleague in MI who was more than happy to do it....but she didn't mailed him "her stuff" in a timely manner. Then, maybe after a year she mailed him part of "her stuff", but didn't follow up...although he kept reminding her.

Then she called me...about 3 weeks ago...and said she was getting letters from the IRS...and my colleague was no longer returning her e-mails.

I spoke to him...and he said he was fed up with her and didn't want to do any more work....and he sent me "her stuff".

I tried to give the job to someone else (including on this forum)...but no one wanted it. So...I ended up raising my already high fee...and she came by with the cash. How could I refuse?

She doesn't approach being "my funniest story..........".

Once upon a time I had 3 pimps (yes, you read that correctly)...who I had to ultimately fire. (They were, technically, entertainment promoters.) However, they still send me some of "their girls", The girls are here on O visas...they're all "models" from places like Poland and the Czech Republic...and they get paid on 1099-Misc.

Tabby, there is always at least one like that, but as long as you get paid well and in advance, they can be worth it. Have you thought of giving her some cards to hand over each time she gets a gig, showing her "business address" as c/o and your address? that way, all her stuff would come to you during the year, and you would be able to complete her return in a timely manner but still at the higher rate, since you are providing the extra service of keeping up with her data. I did that once with a musican client, and it worked well for both of us. Just a thought......

>> c/o and your address? that way, all her stuff would come to you during the year, and you would be able to complete her return in a timely manner but still at the higher rate <<

I will give you the flip side of that. I had a small business client that gave my address as a c/o to his vendors and suppliers because I did his payroll. What a mess that was. I would get collection calls/mails and all sorts of mail unrelated to my engagement. The straw that broke the camel's back was when his workmens comp insurance company showed up at my office.

So be careful what you may get into.

Am I the only one that faxes over the 8821 when I have the agent on the line and try to resolve everything in that call? By the time the form posts I no longer need to call them, everything was resolved on the spot.

I often keep it even simpler. I frequently just conference the client in on the call so they can give verbal OK for the agent to speak with me. There are, of course, situations when I don't do that, but they are the exception.

I often keep it even simpler. I frequently just conference the client in on the call so they can give verbal OK for the agent to speak with me. There are, of course, situations when I don't do that, but they are the exception.

Excellent idea....in these "days of sequestration".

Oh...life used to be so simple...... ;)

I'm thinking that collecting this person's data by use of the "in care of" address might not be a good idea. KC, maybe your musician client was more responsible than this comedian of MsTabbyKats. She's already shown herself to be delinquent in providing records. What if she failed to give MsTabbyKat's address to a few of the gigs along the way? Then there'd also still be the issue of getting some documents (1099s or W-2s) from the client, and it still doesn't help with accumulating data for the expenses related to the gigs or the numerous stock transactions that this person had.

I only allowed one client to use my address, and it was for a trust with 2 very elderly trustees that summered here, wintered in Florida. The trust activity came entirely from one brokerage account, the broker was local, and the broker had the client's permission to provide the information directly to me.

I'm also wondering if the MI preparer had this client's written permission to send those client documents directly to another preparer instead of returning them to the client. I hope he had copies in case those were lost in the mailing.

I'm thinking that collecting this person's data by use of the "in care of" address might not be a good idea. KC, maybe your musician client was more responsible than this comedian of MsTabbyKats. She's already shown herself to be delinquent in providing records. What if she failed to give MsTabbyKat's address to a few of the gigs along the way? Then there'd also still be the issue of getting some documents (1099s or W-2s) from the client, and it still doesn't help with accumulating data for the expenses related to the gigs or the numerous stock transactions that this person had.

I only allowed one client to use my address, and it was for a trust with 2 very elderly trustees that summered here, wintered in Florida. The trust activity came entirely from one brokerage account, the broker was local, and the broker had the client's permission to provide the information directly to me.

I'm also wondering if the MI preparer had this client's written permission to send those client documents directly to another preparer instead of returning them to the client. I hope he had copies in case those were lost in the mailing.

I don't like anyone using my address. Neither does my letter carrier; it gets him confused! I used to let my "non-resident aliens" use it when they went back home...and now I get all their notices for jury duty.

The comedian was more than happy that the guy in MI sent me "her stuff" since she never bothered making copies before she sent it to him. He made copies. She was actually afraid he wouldn't send them to me because he was so fed up with her.

Stock transactions....about 980 of them qualified for "see attached". The other buys were on her 2009 & 2010 brokers statements, which I had in my files.

As for the income and expenses I don't know about at this time....as my dear mother used to say...."we'll cross that bridge when we come to it". But, as with most entertainers when starting out...the expenses generally are way more than the income.

For 2014 I'm going to have her keep a spread sheet.

Yes, I've had to wait while the IRS rep retrieved the authorization - sometimes 20 minutes or so.

Last week I even had to re-send it when it didn't show up after waiting for some period of time.

That's why I have a speakerphone...

I have a *very* comfortable one-ear headset for the same reason.

I have NEVER had good luck faxing in POA's; they seem never to actually make it IN to the system. So I call on one line and use the other to fax in the POA at the time. Yes, since they moved from paper faxes to e-faxed there have been additional delays. But 20+ minutes is still way better than two-plus WEEKS with no resolution.

This has gone on, for me, for years and years. Sequestration has had absolutely no effect that I can see.

And when we're "on hold" for 20 plus minutes...unable to talk about anything....the IRS employee probably sits there, completely unproductive.

Wouldn't you think the IRS employee could go on to the next caller....and then call us back after he/she receives our fax. Or, at least have some system where there is a callback by a rep after the fax is received.

Maybe they need to "work smart" instead of sequester to maximize the resources.