ATX Community

Help with QuickBooks

cientax

Have a client that has emailed their company accounts from QB. I have saved the files but they won't go into the program. I have followed the instructions but have unable to get the file into QB. The file appears to be in the directory but I have been unable to move it into QB. Anyone have any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong and can give some help on what I might be doing wrong. They have QB Pro 2008 and I have QB Pro 2007 if this might help.

Ill even be glad to call you by phone if you can help. thanks.

What is the file extension of the file sent to you by your client?

Did they send you a backup file?

I have QB Pro 2007 on my laptop & that version of QB had to convert all data files from earlier versions of the program. Once converted, those files wre no longer compatible with earlier versions of QB. Not sure about the 2008 version. I'd think that if you can get to open those files the prgm would give you a message about compatibility. I remember some client having a newer version & the prgm just said I'd lose some functionality, but the numbers were unaffected.

That's why I have so many versions on my computer.

I did too -- and I've got a little FYI for anyone that tries to uninstall prior years. DON'T.

I had 1999-2007 on my computer. I finally got everyone using at least 2006 or 2007 so I decided I was going to remove 1999-2005. I spent an hour on the phone with Intuit Tech Support Fixing the issue. I was locked out of 2006 and 2007 for nearly a week before Intuit got back to me and admitted there was a problem with QB and removing prior years!

I did too -- and I've got a little FYI for anyone that tries to uninstall prior years. DON'T.

I had 1999-2007 on my computer. I finally got everyone using at least 2006 or 2007 so I decided I was going to remove 1999-2005. I spent an hour on the phone with Intuit Tech Support Fixing the issue. I was locked out of 2006 and 2007 for nearly a week before Intuit got back to me and admitted there was a problem with QB and removing prior years!

AH HA. So ATX isn't the only company with tech support problems. I had a problem with Norton last year. UGH.

As for QB, I tried to skimp one year and skip a year of upgrading. But someone had to come in with a newer version than I had. I just upgrade every year now. Same for Peachtree.

I also used to let the new version override the previous version. I started to install to a different file a few years ago. I've got enough free space so I don't think I'll try to remove the old ones. But thanks for the heads up.