ATX Community

Duplicate DCNs

Chrisbry

Has anyone had a problem with the software assigning duplicate DCN's to tax returns?

I'm sitting here looking at 3 tax returns (Form 8879) all with the same identical DCN. If I close the program, then come back, recreate the E-files, all three have the same number again -- just one digit up.

{ie -- XXXXXXXXXX1558, close the program, restart the program and recreate efiles xxxxxxxxxx1568 is the number after I recreate each efile.}

I hope this is making sense and there is just something wrong in the way I have ATX set up.

Thanks Bob -- I've been saying for 2 weeks that I'm absolutely terrified to start e-filing any other returns considering the problems that ATX has had with something as simple as the 941/940's & 1099s.

I'm afraid if I don't e-file returns, clients that want their refunds FAST are going to go elsewhere (I have 3 of them sitting on my desk ready to efile and 2 more that came in today -- baby returns with just W2's). I've already got some cleints that are a tad irate because they can't efile until 2/11 (5695's and Ed Credits).

I know I can close out the program and change the DCN number between each return, but that is just not TIME efficient nor what I paid for. But I guess I'll do what I have to do to "get 'er done".

The information on the ATX Efile webpage had to do with reassigning DCN for rejection of Duplicate DCN's. I have a real problem with that because when I have the client sign the 8879, efile and it is rejected, if I go back in and reassign a DCN, it will not agree with what the client has signed. Hello ATX! What is wrong with that picture??? It's called "not giving the client a COMPLETE copy of what they signed".

ARRRRRGGGGH! The week is NOT starting off any better than the last two. :angry:

I guess I'll call them in the morning, sit on hold for 45 minutes and TRY to get an answer.

Chris, you are far more patient than me...... Tomorrow is a drop-dead date for re-filing rejected 94Xs I think. Don't know what I will do if have not received acks by tomorrow AM, but am leaning toward calling IRS and getting on their record as having problem with our Transmitter, ATX. Then hopefully any late-payment penalties will be abated for the direct debit accounts.

Please update us with any results from your call to ATX tomorrow. I will do the same, but have not been able to get thru to them today.

Did I forgot to mention that I called E-help Desk last week? They weren't much help. :D They said unless I have the transmitter ID of ATX, they couldn't help me -- that it was between me and ATX. {that was after a 30 minute hold time} Loverly. I'm beginning to think that all these companies went to the same customer service school.

Patience? Me? HA HA HA HA I think my hubby would disagree with that! :D :D

I am not imagining things. Of course, Customer "service" was no help on this issue. They didn't seem to concerned with the numbers changing.

Do you all remember last year and what we had to do to eliminate the "Form Version Wrong" rejection?

Scenario was that you created the efile, waited for the client to come in and sign the 8879 (could be a few days), then you transmit. I finally started deleting the created efile so as not to accidently transmit. Then recreated it again after the client signed the form.

THIS YEAR -- if you delete the efile -- when you recreate, the program will assign a NEW DCN number to the return and then the DCN # won't agree with the Form 8879 that the client has signed.

No wonder they are having problems with the Duplicate DCN reject code. ATX is telling us to delete the file, recreate and retransmit. Uh -- no, then it will have a new DCN and not agree with what the client has in their file.

I saw on another board this AM that there is an IRS rule that if AGI changes less than $50 and if tax changes less than $14 you can make a minor revision to an e-filed return without getting another signed 8879. I did not know this, and have not seen it in any IRS publication. Anyway, assuming it is true, if a DCN changes with a new created e-file, I would think that would be OK per this IRS rule. I guess we should just copy the client on the new 8879, with accountant signature, in the case where no numbers change, just the DCN.

I remember last year I had to recreate a couple return e-files because the forms had changed before getting back the signed 8879. All I did was cross out the DCN on the original 8879 and write in the new number. Probably should have copied the client, but just let it go.

I saw on another board this AM that there is an IRS rule that if AGI changes less than $50 and if tax changes less than $14 you can make a minor revision to an e-filed return without getting another signed 8879. I did not know this, and have not seen it in any IRS publication. Anyway, assuming it is true, if a DCN changes with a new created e-file, I would think that would be OK per this IRS rule. I guess we should just copy the client on the new 8879, with accountant signature, in the case where no numbers change, just the DCN.

I remember last year I had to recreate a couple return e-files because the forms had changed before getting back the signed 8879. All I did was cross out the DCN on the original 8879 and write in the new number. Probably should have copied the client, but just let it go.

RJM, the $50 AGI/$14 tax rule is stated in the IRS E-File Handbook Pub 1345 on pg 29-30 under the heading "Acknowledgements of Transmitted Return Data" in the 4th paragraph.

LY was my 1st yr using e-file. I was careful to choose the returns e-filed. I didn't have any rejected by IRS. So when a return is resubmitted after IRS rejection, it is assigned a new number & you just write that new # on the original 8879? Just to note, Pub 1345 on pg 30 also says the ERO is supposed to take reasonable steps to notify taxpayer of the rejection within 24 hrs. This includes informing them of the error code & its explanation. I wonder how many EROs are really doing this.

At the firm here, we have e-file 126 returns so far. All accepted. The dual DCN number shows up when you create an e-file, then for some reason you don't file it. Then an amount of time passes and you decide to file it. I experienced this problem last year. Our firm does over 3,000 returns. Every time I have had the duplicate DCN, a simple recreate of the the e-file fixeded it right up.

We e-filed 90% last tax season.