ATX Community

EIN by telephone

Margaret CPA in OH

So I am executrix of an estate and named trustee in 8 trusts to be set up. I tried to get the first one online and received a reference number 101. I called the number and after being on hold for 52 minutes spoke with a person who didn't know much about trusts and couldn't tell me what the reference number meant (besides not being able to complete the application).

Plan B, because one can only receive one ein per day, was to fax the first one as it was already within the "Your wait time is expected to be in excess of 30 minutes" and closing time. So one down and now trying to get one by telephone. Yes, my "wait time is expected to be in excess of 30 minutes" and now I'm not even sure this is the correct number. It is the one listed in the SS-4 instructions but there doesn't seem to be an option to complete a telephone application. I chose option 6, other, and am on hold again.

Any suggestions on how to expedite this process? I need to allocate about $4 mil in stocks amongst these trusts and the benes are getting restless for grandma's money.

Thanks!

I finally got through and did get #2 EIN and a suggestion as to better times to call so will try. I honestly did not want to wait online and get rejected again at the last minute. The agent who helped me in the phone suggested that perhaps the duplicate name made it kick out. They all are PersonName Trust FBO Grandchild. So PersonName would keep coming up and perhaps the programming doesn't like that. I will keep the phone application process going, 2 down now....