ATX Community

Programs 04 and 05 do not show in the Add/Remove programs of "My Comp".

Lucho

OK, we'll try to help. First, if they are not showing, is it possible you already removed them? Is the shortcut for them still there? If it is, and you click on it, does it start?

If the shortcut is there, try going to it, right-click on it, and if you see a menu, liook for 'Properties'. click on that, and select the 'open file location' button. Once you find the file, right-click should give you a menu that includes 'delete'

• Like 1

If those programs did not utilize the windows registry you will not find them in the Control panel -> Add or Remove programs.

If you can locate the shortcut, follow KC 's method.

Otherwise you will need to run explorer on your hard drive and see which directories (folders) contain the files of that program and then manually delete the files, and then remove the folder.

If I may suggest, backup those returns on a CD if you want to delete the program completely from your computer. You will not get another chance to get them back if you should need it for some reason. I still have backups going back to 1999 I think.

Never know, I've had a new client walk in who had not filed for 11 years, and since he was self-employed, I really did need to do them all. Thanks be, he actually had decent records. I never really knew why he did not file, except that he had losses for the first years, and did not figure he needed to file when he would not owe or get a refund. By doing them all, we established his basis, depreciation, etc. He was a great client from then on, and the fees for those returns, and dealing with the IRS for him, sure was nice too.

• Like 1

We are keeping a Windows XP computer in the network with 00, 01, 02, 03 & 04 programs on it. 00-03 are not compatible with WIN7 at all. 04 is a bit flaky on WIN7. We seem to regularly have clients with 10-12 years of unfiled returns that need prepared because the IRS finally found them. That is all the old machine will be used for.

• Like 1

If you are running low on HD space you can pick up a 1TB hard drive for less than $100 these days. My original HD was 420GB. I installed another 1TB HD and now I have more space than what i need for a while.

The programs and returns really take up little space. I have 1996 through 2011 on my XP computer and still have over half of hard drive free. I have other programs installed as well. I will keep XP machine until it dies (I hope never) and always have a current backup of entire hard drive just in case. As well, I have the returns for all of those years, exported to some type of external source; generally a zip disk. I feel safe.