ATX Community

ATX 2013 data input speeds

jshtax

I opened a client just a few minutes ago to see what forms are available. All their federal forms are available so I tried entering some data on the 1065 k1 input screen and the rental property screen. Well the time it took to move from one cell to the next took right at 3 seconds and it took 15 seconds to populate the asset info for a fixed asset. Looks like either I have some issues or ATX did not address any of the performance issues. I would be willing to send the return to someone so they can try inputting some numbers as well. If they are able to move faster than I am then I will at least know its a me problem and not an ATX problem.

I am in talks with Leonard who is an Outreach Rep for ATX. He suggest I always use input screen and I set my Windows UAC to off. As for my specs I am running an I7 2.8 ghz with 8gig ram. I tried to open 2 returns at once and crash. It got up to 1.3M memory and crashed due to low resources.

I've only opened my own return, but not done any input yet.

I just had a few minutes to spare the other day before leaving the office and was excited the forms were all available but that excitement quickly turned to shock as I did not see any improvements in the data entry speed.

It does appear ATX 2013 has a performance issue with data entry(tested areas were Sch C, E pg 1 and K1 inputs. We also tested Sch A data entry but there were no issues there.) on larger returns. I worked with tech support/customer outreach person yesterday for about an hour while they video taped the session. We did 4 different returns all with similar files but with different volumes of forms. The returns from 33-60 forms seemed to work fine with a tolerable lag (about 1 second). The returns with 60-90 forms had around a 2 second land and the largest return we have with right at 100 forms took around 3 seconds to move to next cell after entering data. The person on the phone asked that I send my return to them and sure enough they had the same issues. Remarkably the 1065 with 10 rental schedules had no lag time so as soon as you hit enter/tab you were in the next cell. After running through a few returns we went back to the smaller returns and sure enough there was a larger lag. While on the phone I encountered 2 more issues they had not seen. 1. the software was unable to handle 2 medium to large size files open at the same time. You can open small returns no issue but not bigger ones. 2. After having the software open an extended period of time I deleted a few forms we had entered in a return and went to resave and was met with a hard crash of the software. As most people know we are running Drake and ATX in our office. We all enjoy/love the ease of use with ATX but the stability and performance is a major issue with us as we work on a tight schedule with clients during the day and 30 minutes spent on an issue get the whole day backed up. I am sure nothing can be done now since the program is released but the person on the phone said the amount of resources being used will be addressed when developers get the video of the session.

It does appear ATX 2013 has a performance issue with data entry(tested areas were Sch C, E pg 1 and K1 inputs. We also tested Sch A data entry but there were no issues there.) on larger returns. I worked with tech support/customer outreach person yesterday for about an hour while they video taped the session. We did 4 different returns all with similar files but with different volumes of forms. The returns from 33-60 forms seemed to work fine with a tolerable lag (about 1 second). The returns with 60-90 forms had around a 2 second land and the largest return we have with right at 100 forms took around 3 seconds to move to next cell after entering data. The person on the phone asked that I send my return to them and sure enough they had the same issues. Remarkably the 1065 with 10 rental schedules had no lag time so as soon as you hit enter/tab you were in the next cell. After running through a few returns we went back to the smaller returns and sure enough there was a larger lag. While on the phone I encountered 2 more issues they had not seen. 1. the software was unable to handle 2 medium to large size files open at the same time. You can open small returns no issue but not bigger ones. 2. After having the software open an extended period of time I deleted a few forms we had entered in a return and went to resave and was met with a hard crash of the software. As most people know we are running Drake and ATX in our office. We all enjoy/love the ease of use with ATX but the stability and performance is a major issue with us as we work on a tight schedule with clients during the day and 30 minutes spent on an issue get the whole day backed up. I am sure nothing can be done now since the program is released but the person on the phone said the amount of resources being used will be addressed when developers get the video of the session.

SMH

So why are you smacking your head?

I started working on a client in ATX 2013 and noticed 2-3 second delay times in moving from cell to cell. I addressed the issue with ATX and they were as surprised by the issue as I was. The only real resolve to come out of the entire phone call was that there is still an issue with memory usage as it relates to slowing down the software, Since I encountered the problem I simply relayed the message back to people here so they are aware there might be a slowness issue when dealing with larger returns. Now if someone here has tried larger file sizes with no issue at all moving from cell to cell then this is their opportunity to share so we can all work better. After all that is my understanding of a message board/forum.

SHAKING

Either you have or you haven't experienced similar issues. If you have then I feel your paid and if you haven't and all is working fine then by all means explain how you can operate ATX 2013 with a return that has 60+ forms and not experience a delay moving from cell to cell after entering data on the schedules I mentioned previously. ATX would love to hear this as well since there was a delay on their system as well.