ATX Community

Help on setting up new retruns

GeorgeM

Currently there is no way to set up specific forms for a new client. Since the demise of templates with 2012, ATX had decided this is not an important feature to include. This topic was pushed very hard at the CAB meeting with ATX this past September. Go to the MYATX site, find the suggestion box and send it to them.

When you rollover a return, whatever forms were in the previous return will rollover into the new return.

GeorgeM, you can choose the default state in preferences and, if you have many new clients and want a basic set of forms, perhaps consider making a selection of those forms and saving it as Sample or Basic or something without any data. I have done that for a few years. When I input data for a new client save under that client name or number quickly to continue work. The Basic form set should still be available and you can continue working on the new one. It may or may not address your situation and may or may not save you any time. It works for me, ymmv.

GeorgeM, you can choose the default state in preferences and, if you have many new clients and want a basic set of forms, perhaps consider making a selection of those forms and saving it as Sample or Basic or something without any data. I have done that for a few years. When I input data for a new client save under that client name or number quickly to continue work. The Basic form set should still be available and you can continue working on the new one. It may or may not address your situation and may or may not save you any time. It works for me, ymmv.

I tried that process last year. I found issues with the forms not updating properly when I duplicated the basic return I had created, especially later in the season. I have not tried it in 2013 as I abandoned the process last year. I spent more time dealing with issues that did not show up till I tried to e-file the return than to just create all from scratch.

If everyone that liked the template function will send a suggestion to ATX, it may possibly be added next year. Don't look for it in 2013 though. Already heard that it is not on the radar at all.

Because our interviews are interactive with the clients, we have always had a generic client file called "AAA to Duplicate" (so that it sorts to the first of our manager menu). The file contains 1040, Sch A, EIC, our basic state and local. We simply duplicate the file with the name of the new client so that we can hit the ground running--then add forms as needed.

Works for us, but Jack you make a good point, we will monitor the update forms process this year and see if there are problems.

• Like 1

Jack your knowledge of ATX is great but there is a way.

All you need to do is create a new return and add the forms you wish to use.

Name the return 1040 Template or something along those lines.

When you want to create a new return for a client. Choose that return and go to Returns and Duplicate Return

It will give you the option to name it and then you would proceed to name it.

This replicates the Template feature in ATX and allows more versatility.

Jack your knowledge of ATX is great but there is a way.

All you need to do is create a new return and add the forms you wish to use.

Name the return 1040 Template or something along those lines.

When you want to create a new return for a client. Choose that return and go to Returns and Duplicate Return

It will give you the option to name it and then you would proceed to name it.

This replicates the Template feature in ATX and allows more versatility.

That is exactly the process I tried last year and had multiple issues with forms not updating when the return was duplicated. Additionally, If I made "changes to the master" for any forms, when I duplicated the return, the changes would not update in the duplicate return.

I don't think I will try it this year. The process of adding forms is very quick and easy.

Interesting, But then they added that Download Forms in Marked returns because sometimes an older version would not update.

Which also is a good way to fix a broken return when rollover fails and you get that forms mismatch error.

Unless it says that the form it is looking for is 2013 in the 2012 program. Then you have to go to the Knowledge Base on the Solution Center for that fix.

Interesting, But then they added that Download Forms in Marked returns because sometimes an older version would not update.

Which also is a good way to fix a broken return when rollover fails and you get that forms mismatch error.

Unless it says that the form it is looking for is 2013 in the 2012 program. Then you have to go to the Knowledge Base on the Solution Center for that fix.

That function does not always work properly in the 2012 program.