ATX Community

Client Doesn't Have a First Name!

MsTabbyKats

No...it isn't Madonna!

My client has a new wife....directly imported from the old country. She has only one name....her last name.

She needs an ITIN#.

I have already told her that she will need to take her passport to the local IRS office and apply in person.

I generally wait for the ITIN# and then e-file the state.

I'm just wondering if an e-file will be accepted with only a last name. I'm also wondering about an ITIN# without a first name!!

The client generally pays me after he gets his refunds (and add a month or so on to that...but he does pay), however I've told him that I need to get paid before I release any papers to him because I see a long process here.

I doubt it...but did anyone ever have a client without a first name? Complications?

File as the passport reads. I have never seen or imagine a person without first name. My three states don't allow me to efile if I didn't efile the federal return.

They are in Kansas...and I've filed for him before without a federal e-file (new ITIN# for wife #1 and new ITIN# for daughter). I do this all the time. Most states allow it.

I'm not concerned about completing the W-7....I just go by the passport and visa....and I'll leave the first name blank.

She can explain to the IRS why she doesn't have a first name.

But, I'm wondering what the system will do without a first name. Even a paper return might get rejected.

I'm guessing they may just assign her a letter when she gets the ITIN.

You have the most complicated clients! The rest of us have various taxation issues, but your clients seem to have the most complicated lifestyle issues. My recommendation is same as Pacun. Use the name on her passport.

You've noticed.

I have more "name issue worries" than taxation issues.

Many times each year I make the client call social security to verify the legal American names on the return.

Once a refund was delayed by months because the name was too long. Although it fit in my program....when it was e-filed and received there was no space between the first and last name...and the IRS computer couldn't handle it.

They are in Kansas...and I've filed for him before without a federal e-file (new ITIN# for wife #1 and new ITIN# for daughter). I do this all the time. Most states allow it.

DC, MD and VA used to allow me to efile, but last year all of them were rejected "because the IRS forms were not efiled"

DC, MD and VA used to allow me to efile, but last year all of them were rejected "because the IRS forms were not efiled"

According to the April 2013 update at http://www.irs.gov/uac/Federal-State-e-file-for-Taxpayers, all states that have income tax e-file through the federal system. Only 34 allow state-only processing, but Maryland and Virginia are listed there. Four other states have direct e-file systems.