ATX Community

Windows XP updates

mcb39

How many of you are aware that Microsoft has extended updates for XP security products until July 14, 2015. I first read it in a short news blip. Yesterday, I did a search for Microsoft Windows XP updates and have a 3 page printout in hand. They are not going to support or update the OS, but will continue to update Security Essentials and other security products for an additional 15 months. (All of this just after my XP computer decided to take a long nap and my IT person is out of town). Amazing how you miss what you weren't using anyway.!

Anyhow, just search for Windows XP updates and you can read all about it.

How many of you are aware that Microsoft has extended updates for XP security products until July 14, 2015. I first read it in a short news blip. Yesterday, I did a search for Microsoft Windows XP updates and have a 3 page printout in hand. They are not going to support or update the OS, but will continue to update Security Essentials and other security products for an additional 15 months. (All of this just after my XP computer decided to take a long nap and my IT person is out of town). Amazing how you miss what you weren't using anyway.!

Anyhow, just search for Windows XP updates and you can read all about it.

This was in no way meant to encourage anyone to try to operate ATX on an XP machine. However, there are millions of XP computers out there that are perfectly useful for many things and this only means that the operators will still have a measure of security when they go online. (I think!)

• Like 1

I have heard that there has been a LOT of pressure brought to bear on Microsoft. And, don't forget the many, many owners of personal PCs who cannot afford and/or shouldn't have to dump a perfectly good machine just so they can do online shopping or whatever. As for ATX, I already knew in 2011 that my XP machine was not going to be able to handle the program for another year. It was really churning by the end of 2011 and has been updated to the max.

• Like 1

I agree with mcb39. I am typing this on an XP machine that is still cooking along just fine. i don't use it for tax prep but for research and working spreadsheets you just can't beat it. This machine is one of the most solid machines I have ever purchased. It is now 12 years old, memory maxed out but still is as reliable as ever. I have an older laptop that is the same way. Neither of these machines can handle the new tax software but I just can't see getting rid of them. Both are Dell's and the desktop is the best.

• Like 1