ATX Community

DEPRECIATION

TAXMAN

In running error check I got a strange error message in red that said depreciation method does not appear to be correct for time in service. This asset was placed in service in 2012. Went back to 2012 to look. I had my guy put this in our 2012 program as it was on TP print out. Ran error check 2012. Numbers all appear to be correct with no error messages.

Deleted asset and put back in according to 2012 dep sheet. Again I got same message. This is comming from another preparer that used ATX in 2012. asset in question was a chimney placed under 15 year life with 125db method and a midqtr conven. This is what was on the 2012 form.

Prior return dep maybe incorrect with the 125db? I am thinking should have been mabe 150db?

You all have any suggestions except to override to get rid of red error?

In running error check I got a strange error message in red that said depreciation method does not appear to be correct for time in service. This asset was placed in service in 2012. Went back to 2012 to look. I had my guy put this in our 2012 program as it was on TP print out. Ran error check 2012. Numbers all appear to be correct with no error messages.

Deleted asset and put back in according to 2012 dep sheet. Again I got same message. This is comming from another preparer that used ATX in 2012. asset in question was a chimney placed under 15 year life with 125db method and a midqtr conven. This is what was on the 2012 form.

Prior return dep maybe incorrect with the 125db? I am thinking should have been mabe 150db?

You all have any suggestions except to override to get rid of red error?

If it's really 15 year property, then you are saying this is a qualified leasehold improvement, and I think those are supposed to use 15-year MACRS SL. This chimney is part of a nonresidential property, right?

depreciation method does not appear to be correct for time in service. This asset was placed in service in 2012.

Since the time in service was post-1980, 125% DB is not an allowable method for tax accounting. And I would guess that 15 years is not the correct MACRS recovery period for real property.

Did you ask why he didn't go back to his previous preparer? I think he needs to amend the prior year return.

Previous preparer in hospital with coma. In fixing to what it realy should be only amounts to a $3 dep change(2012) whould you override and keep going with current figures or fix it(method) and move on. Really amounts to about a $12 increase in 13 than what would have been under the way original preparer had done.