ATX Community

Education Expenses - Cant Created 2nd Record For Spouse

Crank

I have a TP and Spouse that both have education expenses however I can not get a 2nd record to appear on the "Input" tab to enter the school information for the spouse on the 1040EdExp form. The spouse is listed on the "Students" tab with 1 educational institution selected. The TP information entered fine on the "Input" tab.

Am I missing something to enter another record on the input tab?

I held for tech support for 1.5 hours yesterday and I am on hold again today for over 30 minutes with no answer or a prompt for a call back..

I just tried it and was able to open input tabs for both spouses and their daughter. My suggestion would be to remove the number 1 from the input tab for students. Close the return and reopen. I find this education input to be quite tedious this year, but not as bad as the OIH input screens. There should be an easier way, but I haven't found it yet.

Marilyn I wish I knew how you did it. I tried your suggestion and I only get an input for the TP and none for the spouse, They dont have dependent ed exps. I spent two hours with tech support and they couldnt do it and said it requires a program update.

EDIT: It works on a test return. Now how do I get it to work on this return without redoing the return. Deleting the 1040edexp & 8863, closing and opening doesnt do it.

Marilyn I wish I knew how you did it. I tried your suggestion and I only get an input for the TP and none for the spouse, They dont have dependent ed exps. I spent two hours with tech support and they couldnt do it and said it requires a program update.

EDIT: It works on a test return. Now how do I get it to work on this return without redoing the return. Deleting the 1040edexp & 8863, closing and opening doesnt do it.

Try deleting all that education stuff. Create a copy of the return and see if it will work on that. It sounds as though you have some info already entered that you don't want to delete and start over.

To create a second institution in ATX 2013 for the Education Expenses. Do the following:

Go to the 1040 EdExp

Look for where it says Enter Number of educational institutions and drop it down to the number that you need

It can go up to 4.

Is that what you are trying to do?