ATX Community

SSD Harddrives?

jshtax

I upgraded one computer with an SSD drive a little more than a year ago just to see what it'd be like. I didn't expect much, but I was really surprised. Since then, I've upgraded the rest of the computers--4 desktops and a laptop, all with 256gb Samsung SSDs. My slowest desktop is about 5 years old, and loading Photoshop on that computer has gone from being obnoxiously slow to quite snappy.

It's not a very big drive, but it's just got to hold the Operating System and some software. Most of my files (photos and other documents) are stored on the NAS in my closet.

My laptop has an SSD. Only 256gb though. Ultrabook, thin.

My desktop is 3 years old. Has a smaller SSD for OS (c drive), regular HD (1tb, d drive). But I don't recommend this setup. I thought I could custom install software to regular HD (d drive), but some software (especially with ATX 2013) still wants to put things on c drive. I have enough room but I'll be getting a new system later this year with a larger SSD and only the one HD.

Go SSD but go big.