ATX Community

Forgiveness of Debt

HV Ken

I do not think they can do this if your client officially filed for bankruptcy and the Credit Card company that sent this 1099-C as one of the Creditors within the bankruptcy. Depends on what chapter he filed. I believe if he filed under chapter 7(or Chapter 13 - Do not remember) he was scheduled to repay some of the debt, perhaps he did not keep his part of filing?

If not, he needs to let the Credit Card Company know of this fact. A lot of banks and credit card companies changed ownership during the "Great Bailout", could be records were not recorded correctly. JPMorgan Chase took over quite a few and they received a lot of $$$ in Bailouts. Bank of America too.

Sorry I could be of more help!

Carol

No statute of limitations?

Yeah, it's ten years in my state. And that just means they can't sue to recover, but the debt is still owed. What you need to do is read the bankruptcy order. Just because he filed BK doesn't mean this particular debt was discharged. On the other hand, debt collectors are not particularly credible, so it's worth checking out.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's ten years in my state. And that just means they can't sue to recover, but the debt is still owed. What you need to do is read the bankruptcy order. Just because he filed BK doesn't mean this particular debt was discharged. On the other hand, debt collectors are not particularly credible, so it's worth checking out.

It is 10 years for a judgement. Credit cards are 3 or 4 years depending on the state of origin of the card.

As to the actual tax treatment this year, I would report it on Line 21 [for matching reasons] but then offset it as nontaxable, since you already know that had it been received when it should have been, it would have been non-taxable due to his insolvency, even if not discharged by the Bankruptcy.

As to the actual tax treatment this year, I would report it on Line 21 [for matching reasons] but then offset it as nontaxable, since you already know that had it been received when it should have been, it would have been non-taxable due to his insolvency, even if not discharged by the Bankruptcy.

Interesting - where would you do the offset?

I also had a client bring in a 2013 1099-C for a credit union debt that was supposedly discharged in bankruptcy several years ago. Client is going to check with the attorney that handled the bankruptcy to see why this may have slipped through the cracks. Client said that his reason for filing was primarily because of his debt to this credit union. Something is not right. We will get to the bottom of this.