ATX Community

UPDATE AND BACKUP

TAXMAN

Which is better. Download fron site and run update or update from within the program? Your thoughts?

Second issue: is it better to COPY the backup folder to another drive or run MS backup of folder or some other program. I do not want to CHANGE where ATX puts this folder. Too many problems associated with moving this folder.

Thoughts please. I do export returns everynight to 2 locations.

Jack, When I do this nothing appears in the window. Is this correct? It still backs up to local storage but the window that appears does not have any returns listed. Should it?

That seems to be the biggest change from prior years on the backup (I know Jack - forget everything you know about prior versions of ATX). But you will see the green bar showing you the progress of the backup. I don't really understand all the techie terms for what is going on, but selecting returns to backup is not how it is done anymore.

Tom

Hollister, CA

• Like 1

Jack, When I do this nothing appears in the window. Is this correct? It still backs up to local storage but the window that appears does not have any returns listed. Should it?

The box labeled "Copy backups to local storage" will disappear while the backup to the external drive is happening. When the box reappears, it is finished.

I just performed it and there is a status bar that shows up as well.

Edited by Jack from Ohio

Jack, I see they put another update down for Thursday. So do we need to do the one for the 18 and then the one on thursday. Also is it better as far as a workstation goes to update from within as to from the site to desktop and then update? I have some efiles that could wait till thursday. Thank you.

Jack, I see they put another update down for Thursday. So do we need to do the one for the 18 and then the one on thursday. Also is it better as far as a workstation goes to update from within as to from the site to desktop and then update? I have some efiles that could wait till thursday. Thank you.

Always update from within the program. If the program icon is red, click on it and allow the updates. Same goes for Thursday.

The only exception is if you have a server only machine. Then you must download the update file and run it on the server only machine.

Each machine in your network must perform the program update. Do not delay. If you are not at 13.3, update all computers right away.

No reason to wait for e-file.