ATX Community

new homebuyer credit for 2013

WITAXLADY

new client very disappointed as friend received $6000 on their 2013 tax return from Turbo tax for a new home this year! And where was hers? ok - what did I miss..

I asked her to call him and let me know the line and form. Only credit I am aware of is in the financing or mortgage interest % back.

anyone?

Sincerely

D

Could it be some sort of state program? There's also the Mortgage Interest Credit on Form 8396. That isn't anywhere near the $6K and I've never seen anyone with one of these credits. It seems that something with this credit must be arranged for at the time of closing by registering the house (?).

You would need to see the 'friend's return before you should answer a single question, IMHO. Because you are getting it third hand, from one non-professional to another non-professional;, then to you, so assuming that there is ANY validity is a bit of a stretch. In fact, his refund, f it does exist, may not be related, or only marginally related to buying a house. That idiotic New Home buyer credit is gone, thank goodness. But for all you actually know, he might have told his friend about getting that credit A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO, and so your client thought they would get the same credit whenever they bought a house.