ATX Community

KY Efiled return -'create the pdf' then attach

Margaret CPA in OH

Huh? I ran the check on a return with KY and OH. I get an error message for KY Sch M, Federal Form 4562 must be attached to the return; create the PDF, then from the E-File menu, select "Attach PDF.' Same message for Kentucky Form 4562.

I've never had to create a pdf of these forms before and literally attach to efile. Something new? I have Adobe Pro. Can I create the pdf with that or do I have to use the internal pdf in ATX? When I go to KY EF Info, I don't see an option to attaché pdf. Is there another 'E-File Menu' somewhere? When I check to create an efile, it already says the federal 1040 will be attached to the KY form. Would that not include the 4562?

Margaret, they started this last year. I don't know if it is Ky or ATX that requires this, but it is a real PITA. Last year, I had to paper file many Kentucky returns because I could not get pdf to work when there were multiple 4562's. Somewhere in ATX, there are instructions for creating and attaching pdf's that I printed out last year and still follow. It works much better this year and I have been able to e-file all Ky returns. HOWEVER, ATX still has one thing wrong. Ky instructions specifically state that if 4562 is not required for Federal, then it is NOT required for Ky. ATX still requires it. I have pointed this out to them numereous times to no avail.

Gerald

Thanks, Gerald. I didn't have any KY returns last year with 4562. This year a client is a part-year resident who disposed of business before moving to KY so dpn is irrelevant for KY anyway. Because his part year status necessitates a paper check for his measly $28 refund, I will just paper file.

Thanks for the heads up about the pdf instructions. Please share if you care to or point me in the right direction if you've time.

These annoyances take so much unbillable time, grrrr!

Create the pdf. Then within the return, at top menu, click on efile, option to attach pdf. This will take you to a window with a list of items Scroll to the one for depreciation schedule (they have both fed and state). There's a paper clip icon to click and go to where you saved your pdf. There's another icon to view it. Once attached, the same procedure will allow you to remove it.

Margaret, I use profactory, sometimes then convert to Acrobat.

joanmcq, I tried to attach a pdf document, not created from within the ATX program but something I already had scanned, but it would not attach to the return. Not sure why.

The file was not created with adequate compression or protocols that the IRS will accept.

All pdf creation programs are NOT created equal.

This one works: http://www.dopdf.com/download.php And it is free.