ATX Community

Reject Codes have incorrect correction procedures

Jack from Ohio

Here is what I found on MyAtx e-file information...

Reject code description:Employer Identification Number (SEQ 0040) of Form W‑2 and/or W-2GU, Payer Identification Number (SEQ 0026) of Form W‑2G, and Payer Identification Number (SEQ 0050) of Form 1099‑R and Company or Trust Identification Number (SEQ 0120) of Form 2439 must match data from the IRS Master File.

Note: Form 1099-R is ONLY required when federal income tax is withheld.

TAXWISE CORRECTION SUGGESTION:

Verify the Employer/Payer Identification Number, HIGHLIGHTED in RED, input on the W2, W2G, or 1099R with the actual document supplied by the Taxpayer.

If incorrect, re-enter the information and re-submit the e-file.

If the information is correct, have the Taxpayer contact the issuer of the form that is rejecting to verify that the Employer/Payer Identification Number listed is their actual number.

Notice the program name on the correction suggestion? This is supposed to be ATX information...

I was looking to find the specifics about form number and field number. The information in the return is of no help, and I really don't want to play the waiting game for "tech support?"

Has anyone else found a way to get the information I am lookin for?

UPDATE 11:04 AM EDT

OK I found the place that lists the sequence number, but still no way to determine which of the 4 W2's it applies to? Any suggestions? Anyone tread this rocky path yet this season?

Here is what I found on MyAtx e-file information...

Reject code description:Employer Identification Number (SEQ 0040) of Form W‑2 and/or W-2GU, Payer Identification Number (SEQ 0026) of Form W‑2G, and Payer Identification Number (SEQ 0050) of Form 1099‑R and Company or Trust Identification Number (SEQ 0120) of Form 2439 must match data from the IRS Master File.

Note: Form 1099-R is ONLY required when federal income tax is withheld.

TAXWISE CORRECTION SUGGESTION:

Verify the Employer/Payer Identification Number, HIGHLIGHTED in RED, input on the W2, W2G, or 1099R with the actual document supplied by the Taxpayer.

If incorrect, re-enter the information and re-submit the e-file.

If the information is correct, have the Taxpayer contact the issuer of the form that is rejecting to verify that the Employer/Payer Identification Number listed is their actual number.

Notice the program name on the correction suggestion? This is supposed to be ATX information...

I was looking to find the specifics about form number and field number. The information in the return is of no help, and I really don't want to play the waiting game for "tech support?"

Has anyone else found a way to get the information I am lookin for?

UPDATE 11:04 AM EDT

OK I found the place that lists the sequence number, but still no way to determine which of the 4 W2's it applies to? Any suggestions? Anyone tread this rocky path yet this season?

Yep me too same thing, still don't know what is causing the error or which W2 it is on!!!

Quickest if you donot have 1345A is to call • E-Help Desk 866-255-0654 (IRS)

They can point out which field is incorrect.

I have the 1345A, I know which field, what I cannot determine, is which W-2 (there are 4) the error belongs to. The information USED to be included with the e-file rejection information in the return. This time it says Form W-2, Occurence 00 and Sequence 1.

Field 1 does not exist. Occurence 00 would indicate the W-2 prior to the first one. The E-file status information on MyAtx is configured for TaxWise, and NOT for ATX. I am not an amateur, but without an access to the source of the rejection, I cannot fix it. I am also not willing to wait 3 hours for TaxWise tech support for my ATX program. I am simply going to remove all W-2s, and recreate them again. That will take about 5 minutes, or 1% of the time I would wait for "tech support."

Do I sound Frustrated?? :angry:

Have you gotten a status update in the program of "Rejected" for the return? If so, you can go to the E-Service tab, select the return, go to the toolbar at the top, click E-File, then select Display rejection errors. That should open the reurn and show the errors which will be more specific. The message will include the Payer number and will indicate which W-2 has the bad employer EIN.

And the error you quoted indicates that the EIN isn't valid. If the numbers have all been entered correctly but you get the same rejection, your client may need to get the W-2 corrected or mail the return.

Have you gotten a status update in the program of "Rejected" for the return? If so, you can go to the E-Service tab, select the return, go to the toolbar at the top, click E-File, then select Display rejection errors. That should open the reurn and show the errors which will be more specific. The message will include the Payer number and will indicate which W-2 has the bad employer EIN.

And the error you quoted indicates that the EIN isn't valid. If the numbers have all been entered correctly but you get the same rejection, your client may need to get the W-2 corrected or mail the return.

This is what I get when I follow your steps:

This time it says Form W-2, Occurence 00 and Sequence 1.

Field 1 does not exist. Occurence 00 would indicate the W-2 prior to the first one. Do I sound Frustrated?? :angry:

This is exactly the same information I get (from the e-file error choice in the return) for every rejected return I have gotten. That infomation is totally useless, and is different than in years past. The client had exactly the same W-2s last year with exactly the same EINs.

Either the programmers for ATX or the "wise" folks at CCH changed the way the error is reported in the program. The previous format would have said:

Form W-2 Occurence (number here) Field (number here)

Then it was a simple matter of going to the proper W-2, using the reference page in the 1345A, and finding which piece of data caused the error. Now, I have to go to MyAtx, open up the page, then when I click on the information, all I can see is which field and what kind of form. No way to determine which one of the 4 it is.

If you are getting more information, please tell me where and how??