ATX Community

1099s were efiled...clients mailed them?

Trnr395

I have a client that I prepared their 1099 misc forms and efiled them. The copies I gave them they just informed me they mailed in when they picked them up, I am pretty sure they said "copies" but am not 100% certain. What do I do now, the efile has been send and approved.

NO, doubling up 1099s SENT BY THEM TO THEIR SUBS OR VENDORS would double expenses, not income. But you are reporting only the single amount, so that will not affect anything. At worst, the IRS might hit one [or more] of the recipients for double income, at which point I am sure the client will here from them. And you give the sub a signed letter stating the correct amount, and that clears it up.

imjulier makes a good point, they may indeed have mailed them to the subs/vendors, since without the SSA address they would not even know where to mail them to the feds.

And Jack is right, unless he included the 1096, SSA would not process them. Of course, he probably had a copy of that too. That is why I always used a red "FILE COPY" stamp on the copies I gave clients.