ATX Community

Statute of Limitations??

redux

I have a client who has not filed for around 15 years. Anybody know of a Satute Of Limitations for filing. Is there a cutoff time, such that, beyond which one is no longer required to file? In other words, must this taxnonpayer file for the entire time he has not filed OR does he need to go back, say, 10 years only? If you have a cite that would be excellent progress for this situation, thanks.

The statute of limitations begins when the return is filed which means that they CAN go back to day one. I was told by an agent several years ago that that they USUALLY only go back a few years. I don't remember how many years he said but it seems that it was 5 or 6. (What he actually said was that they don't usually go back before 19??, whatever year that was at that time). I don't know how to find out without calling the IRS and asking.

Gene

The statute of limitations begins when the return is filed which means that they CAN go back to day one. I was told by an agent several years ago that that they USUALLY only go back a few years. I don't remember how many years he said but it seems that it was 5 or 6. (What he actually said was that they don't usually go back before 19??, whatever year that was at that time). I don't know how to find out without calling the IRS and asking.

Gene

Thanks Gene.

Six years

Thank you! A source outside this forum thought it might be 10 years, so I will assume it is somewhere between 6 and 10. There is not much income involved, at least that's what I'm told without any verification. Of course, this is a self employed "artist," no W-2s etc.

Thanks KC....I needed to have that "fact in hand" also. Had the State call me recently for assistance on handling a SE taxpayer???????? who has not filed since 1996. Somewhere in that timeframe, he had a stroke. He is still working, but has memory problems. MAJOR! Also, has a very ill wife who was supposed to be handling all of his bookwork. NOT! The unfortunate thing is that they let it go as far as a warrant. So far, no word from the IRS, but the two years I have completed, working backward from 2006; have no tax liability. Sales Tax is an different issue altogether and that is the concern of the State. Have a mutual friend helping me with this, but we can only do what we can do.....

Hi Marilyn,

Stae goes back forever om sales tax and on WI, I just got a notice for amounts due from 1997, 1998.1999

How generous!

plus the number of legit WI EIC's being questioned is too many!

I'm staying with with ATX for now...

Hi Darlene...I figured that. They have already confiscated many thousand dollars from his savings account. They now want to see some sort of "pattern" so that they can settle this. The guy has nothing left for them to take. But, yes, they wanted me to start with 1997, but since his records are so haphazard, we figured if we got him current with 2006 and back, it might be better for him. Might be wrong thinking, but the last four years have the best files to work with. In two, he is already owing over $6K in Sales Tax and nothing in Income either Fed or WI......Nice talking to you!!!

I was told by an IRS Agent they have a guideline of six years but since there is no statue of limitations on failure to file they can go back further. They will go back further on some cases. I had one case for an Offer in Comprise that they wanted all years filed and I had to go back 15 years.

I was told by an IRS Agent they have a guideline of six years but since there is no statue of limitations on failure to file they can go back further. They will go back further on some cases. I had one case for an Offer in Comprise that they wanted all years filed and I had to go back 15 years.

Thanks! So, he's SOL on the SOL. :lol: I sort of gleaned that they have guidelines of somewhere between 6 to 10 years based probably on the amount of income involved.

It is a somewhat curious thing that if a self employed person has substantial income it seems logical that there would be a herd of 1099s generated each year, if not from clients, but from banks etc. If this person has not filed for some extensive period, I wonder how they escape the tracking of 1099s etc.

Oh well, my job is not to wonder but to solve!