ATX Community

Do you attach pdf explanation of expense to efile

Wendy

I have had a client for a few years who previously did his own return. He still fills in blank forms for me with his information ^_^ One of the things he includes with his paperwork is a full page, handwritten explanation of how the volunteer mileage came about, like the one he included with his prior paper filings. I have previously entered the numbers and kept a copy of the explanation. But wondering if any of you scan paperwork like this to attach to the efile?

I have had a client for a few years who previously did his own return. He still fills in blank forms for me with his information ^_^ One of the things he includes with his paperwork is a full page, handwritten explanation of how the volunteer mileage came about, like the one he included with his prior paper filings. I have previously entered the numbers and kept a copy of the explanation. But wondering if any of you scan paperwork like this to attach to the efile?

Why would you want to attach it to the efile?

I don't want to attach it, and haven't the last two years that I have done their return. Just started wondering if others did it - either routinely or occasionally. You know - it's the time of year & time of night to start second-guessing myself on little things.

I don't want to attach it, and haven't the last two years that I have done their return. Just started wondering if others did it - either routinely or occasionally. You know - it's the time of year & time of night to start second-guessing myself on little things.

I alway keep any handwritten notes from a client IN MY PAPER FILE FOLDER, but that's just in case there was an issue later about what they gave me. No way would I send to IRS. They don't read them anyway.

i always did attach a statement when I thought the deduction was out of whack but I guess I stopped when I started efiling. For example I do a lot of medics and they have a lot of volunteer deductions, especially right out of school when they have lower paying jobs and no family commitments. There deduction for uniforms, maintenance, supplies, etc might be high for their income level so I would attach a statement that so and so worked for a vol. ambulance corp and had X in uniforms, X in travel, X in training etc. to their return.

when someone cleans out a parents home due to death I also tag the large unusual contributions as contents from an estate.