ATX Community

Annoyance on Saving

Abby Normal

Now that we have efiled extensions for corporations, every damn time we save a return we get an annoying pop up warning that "efiles could be affected by saving" we have to close. Any way to turn that off? It's totally unnecessary because ATX automatically marks created efiles as rejected when you save and accepted efiles won't be changed.

JM:

It is stupid.

Somehow, in the 2011 and before versions, they figured out how to add a box:

Do not show this message again? Yes/No?

And you clicked yes, and each time you left after that, you didn't see that stupid message.

I know this isn't 2011 anymore and I have to forget about it, but really?

Rich

• Like 1

Rich, I feel your pain. BUT, so many users DEMAND that their programs protect them from making mistakes, so we end up with more and more 'warnings' that should not be needed, but if they let us opt out then some goofus will sue them for letting him/her screw up. That's the same reason we have so many ridiculous 'warnings' on everything we buy.

a94_w1.jpg

"DO NOT put any person in this washer"

a94_w2.jpg

"6PCS Precision screwdriver set not to be inserted into PENIS"

a94_w3.jpg

"Do not eat Ipod shuffle" (found on apple's website)

a94_w10.jpg

AND MY PERSONAL FAVORITE:

a94_w8.jpg

"Use care when operating a car (...)" (on a bottle of dog's pills)

• Like 1

Yeah, I probably do 150 returns on extension and save each one 20 times while working on it, which equals 3,000 clicks! (I actually use the keyboard so it's 3,000 presses of the Enter key. Makes my pinky hurt just thinking about it!)

If they wanted to warn me once when opening an already efiled RETURN, that would be fine. But warning me because an extension has been efiled, over and over and over, is just beyond annoying. If I ever snap and go postal, it will be directed at programmers! And I used to be a programmer.

This warning provides exactly zero safety because it already prevents you from creating a new efile if one has already been transmitted or accepted. And it doesn't stop you from screwing up your original data file. It just gives you the option of not screwing it up after you made a bunch of changes. Hmmm. I wonder if it will autosave with an already efiled return?

It's not about the e-file. It is about the integrity of the information in the file AFTER the e-file has been created or sent. You can make changes in the file, and then it would be different that what was e-filed.

If you are saving 20 times in each return while you are processing, you are exercising overkill. The autosave function is working. Set it to 5 minutes.

It IS a safety function.

This warning provides exactly zero safety because it already prevents you from creating a new efile if one has already been transmitted or accepted. And it doesn't stop you from screwing up your original data file. It just gives you the option of not screwing it up after you made a bunch of changes.

Just like the examples above of stupid warnings. We agree that an extension is not like a return, JM, but it was still generated because they are intending to protect.

I save before moving to another form because ATX died a few days ago and it had apparently been several minutes since the last autosave and I had to go back and figure out what was the last entry that was saved.

This lame warning is as useless a warning as I have ever seen in my 36 years of computing!

• 1 year later...