ATX Community

Lost Efiled Return

Eli

I can not find a return that I have already efiled. The client came in because he had 2 more W2's that he 'forgot' about. When I tried to go in to amend the return I couldn't find it. I tried restarting the program and the computer, but no luck. Any idea what could have happend here??

Thanks!

Eli

Go to Preferences -> All Managers and see if you have a check in the box next to "Hide returns marked Complete..."

Nope not checked. I can see all my other completed returns. I'll have to double check with the client to make sure I actually efiled it. I clearly remember him signing the paperwork.

Thanks for trying!

Eli

Nope not checked. I can see all my other completed returns. I'll have to double check with the client to make sure I actually efiled it. I clearly remember him signing the paperwork.

Thanks for trying!

Eli

Do you keep a copy in your files of returns you prepare for clients?

Eli, do a search on his SSN, and also check your backups. Hopefully, if you did delete it before sending the efile, you still have the backup, and you can just add the new W-2s and efile it. I do not think the program allows you to delete a return once it has been efiled, unless the efile is rejected.

I do not think the program allows you to delete a return once it has been efiled, unless the efile is rejected.

The mystery is solved! When the client brought me the additional w2's there was a different last name on one of them. That was the last name I was searching under. When I couldn't find that name in my files I really began to worry. Luckily he called me to see how the amendment was comng along and I told him i couldn't find his file. He said he would come over with his copy of the paperwork. When he arrived and showed me the paperwork, I immediately noticed the last name was different. Apparently the company only used his mother's maiden name on his W2. Many hispanics use both parents last names and they accidently only used hers.

So after all that, I do have the return in my program!!

Eli