ATX Community

Tennessee

Lion EA

From this CT Yankee:

So, for this TN e-PAY, can I e-file as usual the federal and TN returns, and then client's father goes online to e-pay. Before, after, how long after?

Or, do I have to send father the TN return to enter online/e-file and then e-pay (and I e-file only the federal)?

Client has a younger sister with investments from grandpa, so next year I'll have two.

Help!

Yankee Rita, my guy here who I'm finishing up is letting me enter his bank info and use direct debit. When I pretend he is using ACH, ATX letter says:

"I have prepared your 2013 Tennessee INC-250 individual income tax return based on the information you provided. The return will be e-filed and a copy is enclosed for your records and review. As requested, your Tennessee INC-250 tax payment will be processed through the use of ACH Credit. The net payment is $319."

Like I would be the one doing it. Honestly, I can't imagine my clients doing it themselves. Perish the thought. I mean, really, perish it. But I would assume they have until 4/15 and you e-file when you want to, between calls and people dropping in to see if you have in secrets about avoiding tax and penalty on early retirement withdrawals that Turbo Tax doesn't know. Oh, wait, that's me.

Link to TN website: http://tn.gov/revenue/onlinefiling/filereturn.shtml

I love you, Dixie Rita

My Southern Belle Rita,

Thank you. Luckily dad is a young'un himself and a computer guy, so paying on their website doesn't confuse him (although, TN buried the Make a payment... button at the very bottom of their page full of file this or file that, and you have to click the Single button in a section above that to get to the next page where you enter the usual name, SSN, address; seems like the Single button belongs on that page instead -- after you've chosen to Make a payment... and not before.

Dad and I were both a bit worried since son has no bank account at nine (birthday yesterday!) that using dad's bank account as direct debit with the return could be a problem if anyone at the bank is paying attention to the name and SSN on the account.

I spoke to a very nice woman in TN who helped with the details, and I responded to dad that his choice to pay on line is fine and where to find the buttons to click. Everyone in TN sounds like the grandpa who hired me to file returns for his grandson. Grandpa went to Vanderbilt.

The website says to file first. My software makes me check a box that payment has been made before it will create the efile. Oh well, whatever makes it work.

Love,

DIxie-wannabe Rita

(especially today when it's gray and only 43 degrees)

Love,

DIxie-wannabe Rita

(especially today when it's gray and only 43 degrees)

I had to turn on the air yesterday! I hate winter so much, I had a little five minute party, it was so nice outside. Hang in there, glad you got "ahold" of someone who helped! Grandpa is no slouch if he went to Vandy. It's gonna be fine. I still wish they'd just let people mail a check. I mean, honestly...

CT has a few things, such as SUTA, where you have to e-file & pay. And, they issue refunds on debit cards if you don't choose direct deposit. But, this was a surprise for TN to have only two payment choices, both electronic. I now deposit my checks by taking a picture on my iPhone. So, I'm sure TN could process checks efficiently. Actually, grandpa intends to pay grandson's taxes, but he was really reluctant to use either method -- and it was only $18 and grandpa had just taken the whole family to DisneyWorld -- so he told me to work it out with son/dad.

I really want Spring. But, then I'd hate being stuck at my computer in nice weather. I have to get used to the heat, and the Southern drawls, for my trip to Virginia hollers with Appalachia Service Project to make homes warmer, safer, and drier.

• Like 1