ATX Community

Error Code f1040-512

jamclaiborne

I tried filing my tax return and I am getting this error code F1040-512-- Your dependents SSN cannot be used to claim an exemption on two separate returns. You claimed a dependent as an exemption on your tax return, but this dependent has also filed their own tax return claiming a person exemption.

The dependents are my parents and I filed both of their tax returns using Married Filing Separately and claimed 0 expemtions. Their income is below the threshold and I checked, everything seems to be correct. Is anyone else having this issue as well.

Thanks.

I tried filing my tax return and I am getting this error code F1040-512-- Your dependents SSN cannot be used to claim an exemption on two separate returns. You claimed a dependent as an exemption on your tax return, but this dependent has also filed their own tax return claiming a person exemption.

The dependents are my parents and I filed both of their tax returns using Married Filing Separately and claimed 0 expemtions. Their income is below the threshold and I checked, everything seems to be correct. Is anyone else having this issue as well.

Thanks.

On their returns, are the boxes on Form 1040, page 1, line 6a and 6b blank, or are the boxes checked?

I've never had this error code, and the only times we've seen postings about this here have been when it was user error where the preparer inadvertantly had the boxes checked on the depedents' returns to claim themselves.

Your only course of action is to paper file the returns. If somehow those boxes are checked on your parents' returns in the IRS system, then you will receive notices or if there is a change in tax.

I'll apologize for anyone automatically assuming you were a nonprofessional. It was probably because your question involved your own return and those of your parents. Especially at this time of year, we do have regular people not in the profession post questions while attempting to prepare their own returns, and the members on this site are here to help other pros, not give out free advice to the public that might not understand the reason for our answers.