ATX Community

Renewal Email

redux

Received a renewal offer from ATX this AM. For Total Tax Office (TTO) the price has increased 5.2% over last year so with the 10% discount they're offering, it amounts to an actual discount of 4.7%. Furthermore the shipping (which I estimate costs them less than $10.00) is now $99, an increase of 10% over last year.

Received a renewal offer from ATX this AM. For Total Tax Office (TTO) the price has increased 5.2% over last year so with the 10% discount they're offering, it amounts to an actual discount of 4.7%. Furthermore the shipping (which I estimate costs them less than $10.00) is now $99, an increase of 10% over last year.

The shipping on the books that come with the TTO cost a lot more than $10. I got mine in two different shipments, and I don't remember the exact amount, but I know that they were fairly expensive shipping cost.

I also think the % increase ignores the fact that they are also adding features. I have not made the decision yet, but I think the decision to renew should be based on more significant issues than a very modest price increase.

KC

The shipping on the books that come with the TTO cost a lot more than $10. I got mine in two different shipments, and I don't remember the exact amount, but I know that they were fairly expensive shipping cost.

I also think the % increase ignores the fact that they are also adding features. I have not made the decision yet, but I think the decision to renew should be based on more significant issues than a very modest price increase.

KC

First of all, I don't understand why you're making such a big deal out of my post. It was neither an accolade nor a complaint (save for the shipping costs). It was simply a statement.

Granted, the first shipment of books (one such shipment in my case) was likely more than $10.00, but the point I am making is that even with the initial shipping cost and the follow up shipments of disks only, there is no way the company spent $90.00 last year for shipping. There is more involved, we are paying for the packaging time as well as the shipping. And, of course, this year it'll be $99.00, that's outrageous.

As far as my ignoring the FACT that they are adding features, I don't know that they ARE adding features. My GUESS is that with the new acquisition many of the beloved features will disappear. Of, course, the user won't know that any features are missing until they purchase the program.

When your primary product is ProSystem fx that is many times the price of MAX and has ALL the bells and whistles, it makes sense that you, as a company, would not want to provide an alternative (MAX) that also has all the bells and whistles at a much lower price. Your alternative then is to eliminate some or all the bells and whistles (features) in the less expensive software to encourage you to purchase the more expensive package. So, yes, I'll be looking around for another software package, although, I haven't made any decisions at this point. It is simply prudent for my to do some software research. Anybody who has not lost faith in ATX and desires to continue their relationship, hey, have at it.

I began investigating ATX in 1998 and purchased my first MAX in 1999. I have seen dramatic improvements in that time. I have also seen the unparalleled response to issues of users. This sort of history has earned ATX a great deal of trust and product confidence. But, you know, whatever they have earned over the years was entirely lost with one act, the abrupt removal of the forum. The lack of notice of the termination of the forum to ATXers shows a total disregard for the customers and is probably indicative of an attitude of which I want no part. The trust is gone the confidence I once had in the product is also gone.

My current thinking is, I hate software conversions ! But, I am going to evaluate some packages this summer. The best one for me seems to be Ultra Tax with Creative Solutions. I have heard bad things about Ultra Tax, but mostly good things. And I used Creative Solutions before. It is going to cost quite a bit more than my ATX package. But if they have a fairly reliable conversion program, for tax and accounting, I think I will sign up by October or so.

When the season is over, hope to review what CCH is advertising regarding ATX features for the new year. The tax program has really gotten better each year. I still find new convenient features every few returns, and am pleasantly surprised.

Where are you seeing the prices for next year. I went to the catalog and it is the same price as last year for MAX ($1,065). I have a feeling that is not the 2007 price. Or is it?

I got the e-mail but it does not have a price, just a 10% discount for ordering early. I am not inclined to order early, because I don't know what is going to be there when tax season comes along. I guess I am just pessimistic (sp?).

I am going to be looking at Drake. They are going to have a booth at the CSEA Super Seminar in Reno, so I will check it out there. If I don't like it, I still have time to get ATX's discount.

It is a shame that ATX was purchased by CCH, because this was the most flawless year they had. No real e-file screw ups (remember 3 years ago?) and all my CA forms were timely. I was looking forward to many more years with ATX, because they really got it right this year.

Oh well, we will see what the future holds, but I don't have high hopes for a long relationship with ATX.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I guess I am just pessimistic (sp?).

Why not spell check your posts with http://www.ispell.com I have been using it for years. I'm not associated with ieSpell in any way. Here is the home page text for those that don't like following a link to an unknown website:

Introduction

ieSpell is a free Internet Explorer browser extension that spell checks text input boxes on a webpage. It should come in particularly handy for users who do a lot of web-based text entry (e.g. web mails, forums, blogs, diaries). Even if your web application already includes spell checking functionality, you might still want to install this utility because it is definitely much faster than a server-side solution. Plus you get to store and use your personal word list across all your applications, instead of maintaining separate ones on each application.

The program installs as a new button in the IE toolbar (as well as a new menu item under "Tools") - after filling in a form, just hit the ieSpell button and it pops up a dialog, similar to the MS Word spell check. ieSpell also works (right-click menu only) on other IE based browsers such as SlimBrowser, CrazyBrowser, MSN, MyIE, etc.

ieSpell is not spyware or adware. It's free for personal use only. All other use requires a commercial license. See Licensing for more information.

If you find ieSpell useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation. Your donations will help to support its future development. Thank you!

Features

1.Completely standalone spell checker for your web browser. Does not require Microsoft Office or any other third party components.

2.Integrates flawlessly with Internet Explorer and other IE based browsers.

3.Three ways to start the spell check; via the right click context menu, the toolbar or the menu bar.

4.Supports a wide range of web applications including simple text forms, rich text editors, forums, blogs, webmail (including Outlook Web Access and Lotus iNotes) and more!

5.Spell check in any of the 3 variants (US, UK and Canadian) of the English Language!

6.Suggestions are sorted by the degree of closeness with the misspelled word.

7.Intelligent suggesting for misspelled words using typographic “looks like” matching.

8.Easily add/remove your personal words in ieSpell via an intuitive user interface!

9.Organise your personal words in individual custom dictionaries! Share them with your friends and co-workers over the network!

10.Integrates with Microsoft Office's proofing tools. Have ieSpell share the same copy of the custom dictionary so that when you add/remove your personal words in ieSpell, the same is reflected in Microsoft Office and vice versa!

11.ieSpell suggested a word that you are not familiar with? Look up its meaning in an online dictionary!

12.Powerful API for web application developers.

13.Force users to spell check the document before submission.

14.Ignore certain text fields.

15.Refuse a form submission if the user cancels the spell check!

Where are you seeing the prices for next year. I went to the catalog and it is the same price as last year for MAX ($1,065). I have a feeling that is not the 2007 price. Or is it?

I don't know about MAX, but for the 1040 and 1040 Office packages the website shows quite a difference. Although the price is the same, the features are not. The 1040 package (for $390) used to be federal plus three states with unlimited free e-file. It is now federal plus three states with NO free e-file. E-file is extra, at $5 per return. 1040 Office (same as 1040 but with all states) which used to have unlimited free e-file now only has 100 free e-files.

Well, last year I got in with the marvelous "get max for the price of 1040 Office" and was thrilled. I was buying 1040 office + PRS + W-2/1099 because I found out you can't efile 1099s without it and once you efile 1096s you will never go back to paper. Now PRS is $270 ($100 registration fee + $170 for 10 returns) and instead of buying extra returns for $11 each, its $85 for 5. So I'm stuck with buying Max, or a different system for business returns (I don't do hardly any biz returns). I also efile everyone. I thought, well 100 is more than I do, but when you count fed and state as two, plus all the extensions, and the 1099s.....adds up doesn't it!

Well, last year I got in with the marvelous "get max for the price of 1040 Office" and was thrilled. I was buying 1040 office + PRS + W-2/1099 because I found out you can't efile 1099s without it and once you efile 1096s you will never go back to paper. Now PRS is $270 ($100 registration fee + $170 for 10 returns) and instead of buying extra returns for $11 each, its $85 for 5. So I'm stuck with buying Max, or a different system for business returns (I don't do hardly any biz returns). I also efile everyone. I thought, well 100 is more than I do, but when you count fed and state as two, plus all the extensions, and the 1099s.....adds up doesn't it!

It would seem that ATX is taking the same approach as some of us do with our PIA clients, just raise the fee and maybe they will go away and if they stay then the increase will be worth it. I am referring to the lower tier programs, the basic 1040 and the 1040 Office. Although the intitial cost of the basic 1040 is still $390 the fee for e-filing has increased from $-0- to $5.00 per return for the Federal and one State. If you do 100 e-files this package now costs $890, not including shipping. Having been with ATX since the untimely death of Parsons (oh, the days of the $80 program) I will be looking at other software, as I think others will also. This price is also the same as Proseries basic 1040 program. I am sure there will be many initial offers from other suppliers to intice us to switch. One poster on The Tax Book ( when the community ATX board was put to rest, some ATX members went there for solace) mesage board is praising Taxslayer as an alternative and I am sure there will be more such posts when the tax season is over. I think the big mistake was announcing the 2007 software prices and the resulting end of the message community before the end of the filing season.

... Having been with ATX since the untimely death of Parsons (oh, the days of the $80 program) ...

The spirit of Parsons (and IIRC some of the people) is alive and well in TaxAct. The federal 1040 program isn't $80, it's $99, but they generally run a special from now thru June at $79. States are $13 each, or $52 for all. There is no shipping charge if you download the programs. E-filing is expensive, starting at $11 and decreasing to $500 for unlimited, at which point they will give you the software for free.

The program is certainly not as comprehensive as ATX, the client letter is worthless, and e-filing is somewhat cumbersome, but the program is rock solid. They will have two updates per year instead of hundreds. Not having to worry about program issues is worth quite a bit.

[Disclaimer - I used TaxAct for 2-1/2 years, starting in mid-season of the year when ATX had all the e-filing problems. I went back to ATX for 2006 and would probably have renewed for 2007.]

I called TAXACT and they have bundle prices the one they quoted me is as follows:

unlimited e-filing

unlimited 1040's

All state returns w/ unlimited use and e-filing

Price: $ 500.00

They have other bundle prices also but you need to call them and ask for the bundle price for tax preparers.

Drawback NO conversion package but were willing to let me have the 2006 program in May at no cost so I could input my deprec data etc this summer. Then they have a rollover program just like ATX.

Cool deal, I tried the 2005 demo disc and I like how it works really fast going from form to form etc.

Marge Powell