ATX Community

new EIN needed?

Catherine

Client has an EIN in order to pay taxes for her nanny.

Also has SE business and has been using her ssn for that, for years (physical therapist in private practice). Insurance company for one of her clients now wants her tax ID number.

I don't think she can use the same nanny payroll number but nothing on the IRS site showed where she could not - that I could find.

Any advice on where to look? Or does someone know off-hand?

TIA,

Catherine

You use the same EIN for Schedule C as the one you are using for Nanny tax.

IRS wants any entity to only have one EIN.

Look on page 10 of Pub 926.

The TIP says:

You ordinarily will have an EIN if you previously paid taxes for employees, either as a household employer or as a sole proprietor of a business you own. If you already have an EIN, use that number.

That instruction assumes you already have an EIN as a sole proprietor and are now paying Nanny Tax.

It says to use the existing EIN.

I assume that reversing the logic would yield the same answer..

• Like 1

Thank you, John!

What I never understand is how these things *hide* when you are looking for them for yourself, but jump right off the page if you are looking for someone else.

How true.

Reminds me of a friend who tells of visiting his firefighter brother-in-law when a small fire erupted in the kitchen.

After the B-I-L fumbled for a few panicky seconds with the fire extinguisher, my friend grabbed the extinguisher from him, pulled the safety pin, and doused the flames.

When he started needling the B-I-L about his ineptness, the B-I-L blurted out "It's different when it's your own stuff ! " (Except I don't think he said "stuff")

• Like 2

I have had two client situations in the last 3 years, where they each had two Schedule C businesses.

In both cases the IRS would not issue a second EIN and at the same time the state of Oregon insisted that my clients

had to have separate Oregon BINs. So I had to prepare two separate payrolls for each client and then consolidate the

payroll info for federal payroll reporting purposes. A lot of extra work !