ATX Community

1040 Sch C "other interest" line 16b

Atts(orst88)

I feel like I'm in a twilightzone...NOBODY's saying a word nor is complaining about the following EFile error (which is popping up in MY computer and maybe nobody else's):

"IRS e-file exclusion: Name(s) and Address(es) of person who received Form 1098 must be entered. If Other Interest amount is not associated with Form 1098, paper file this return." (QUOTE-UNQUOTE!!)

Is this to say that any finance charge on any item purchased on time will cause mandatory paper file?

Wouldn't that affect...oh... 50 million returns or so? Not possible! Possible?

Anyone entering anything on that line would necessitate paper filins since 1098 forms do not exist on anything but primarily mortgage loans. Right?...and that's what line 16a is for.

Maybe programming error?, except the exclusion error appears uniquely written for this line. Anybody??

Atts(orst88)...an ATXer since 1995.

There is another thread about this down below " schedule c errore (error spellt wrong in the thread). I encountered this yesterday and just spent a frustrating hour with support trying to tell them this is a programming error. The ATX rep I discussed this with had no clue about taxes and kept putting me on hold. I kept insisting this is an error..finally she said she'd put me through to Programming...oh but there is a long hold for that. I lost it - couldn't wait any longer had appointments to keep.

So far I haven't had one decent answer to any of my support phone calls - I don't know why they even pretend to have support this year. I'm done. I need another solution quickly.

Carolyn

There is another thread about this down below " schedule c errore (error spellt wrong in the thread). I encountered this yesterday and just spent a frustrating hour with support trying to tell them this is a programming error. The ATX rep I discussed this with had no clue about taxes and kept putting me on hold. I kept insisting this is an error..finally she said she'd put me through to Programming...oh but there is a long hold for that. I lost it - couldn't wait any longer had appointments to keep.

So far I haven't had one decent answer to any of my support phone calls - I don't know why they even pretend to have support this year. I'm done. I need another solution quickly.

Carolyn

The solution is to put the interest on line 48 marked as "Other Interest" and remove it from line 16. The programmers are DEAD WRONG. William Trasker sent me an e-mail directly telling me it was a program problem, and it would be fixed in 24 hours. That was about 14 days ago. Apparently CCH thinks it knows more about ATX and tax law than William. Boy are they proving how stupid they (CCH) are!!

Support is a useless waste of payroll. I will bet anyone a steak dinner at the restaurant of their choice, that the person who decided to dismantle Caribou Maine, has NEVER TOUCHED a tax return. Any takers??

The solution is to put the interest on line 48 marked as "Other Interest" and remove it from line 16.

No, not for me. I can't file a return improperly just because the ATX program is wrong. No, I think my solution will be to switch software packages. Hard yes...but probably better than the many wasted hours I can see ahead of me using ATX. It's too bad I do like the program but man oh man...the inconsistencies and errors just don't sit well with me. I also have 941's and 944 out in never never land...no, I need to get out before my ship is sunk.

I guess I don't understand why this is improper. Inconvenient? Yes. But not improper.

My understanding is that non-mortgage interest goes on Line 16b - what other reason is it there for. Yes we can MAKE this work by moving it to "Other expenses" but gosh shouldn't this program do things right?

My understanding is that non-mortgage interest goes on Line 16b - what other reason is it there for. Yes we can MAKE this work by moving it to "Other expenses" but gosh shouldn't this program do things right?

There is the best way (line 16b) or there is a good way that works (line 48). At the firm here, we looked at the options...

1) Paper file aprox 1,500 returns instead of e-file (by using line 16b).

2) Move the interest to line 48 and e-file the same 1,500 returns.

It was a difficult decision, but we chose #2.

No for me the best way is for ATX to fix this problem. What other nuances are yet undiscovered. I've made my decision - I'm jumping ship (provided they refund me my money) while I still have a ship to jump from. Time is money and I've wasted too much. It's too bad...I really do like ATX...when it's working.

C

There is the best way (line 16b) or there is a good way that works (line 48). At the firm here, we looked at the options...

1) Paper file aprox 1,500 returns instead of e-file (by using line 16b).

2) Move the interest to line 48 and e-file the same 1,500 returns.

It was a difficult decision, but we chose #2.

Carolyn

No for me the best way is for ATX to fix this problem. What other nuances are yet undiscovered. I've made my decision - I'm jumping ship (provided they refund me my money) while I still have a ship to jump from. Time is money and I've wasted too much. It's too bad...I really do like ATX...when it's working. C Carolyn

I hate to sound like the pesimist, but I have a feeling that the chances of either of those things happening is very slim. Since CCH took over the helm, caring about the customer is a thing of the past.

Just for the record, at our firm we will do 3,000+ returns this season. Jumping ship, even between seasons is a major undertaking. That being said, we will probably use another program next year.

I solved my problem -I switched hesitantly to TRXAlliance (intellitax under a different name).

Do you want to talk about service. I bought, purchased and successfully efiled 3 returns all in the same day! They logged on my computer, converted my atx files (albeit not all them would convert) and got me going while I was out at a clients. I was very impressed.

It's not just this problem which has made me switch -it's an accumulation of many. This was just the final straw. I'll probably have to fight for a refund but the terms are 30 days from delivery...ATX didn't deliver my codes until Jan 14, 2008, and never sent me a disk after purchase (I did have the enticement CD sent in December) so I don't think they have a leg to stand on. I'd take to court if I had to...I'm very PO'd at the company. It's too bad. I did like the software and hopefully MEL will get something similar going this year...for now I'll get back to SUCCESSFULLY transmitting efiles!