ATX Community

Unbelievable... INS faster than IRS

Pacun

I have said in the past that my hands are tied because in the area there is a tax preparer where all his clients take education credits, have no-related children claimed as their own children, work in a restaurant and have unreimbursed employee expenses, when they get a Christmas bonus and they get a 1099 from a client, they enter this 1099 on sch C and they have so many expenses that the Sch C show a loss of 4K or 10K to offset income or they simply file a MD return because to claim a refund they use the bogus SS#. He never signed the returns and he has been in business for MANY, MANY years.  I do believe this guy has cost the IRS million dollars and yet, he was never caught.

Besides doing taxes 24 hours a day, and people making appointments for 3AM and waiting a couple of hours extra, he was doing some immigration work. In any event, INS (I know the new name) arrested him before the IRS. As a matter of fact, IRS has no charges for him.

http://www.gazette.net/article/20141001/NEWS/141009722/1124&template=gazette

I guess there is a big difference between immigration punishment and IRS punishment. INS will deport people and the IRS will only charge them. So the IRS might have sent 100s of letter collecting money back from his clients and no one complained about him. It was a different story on the immigration mistakes because the punishment was deportation and at that point, they complained about him. I was laughing when they said they caught him and they were going to put him in jail only 6 months. He needs to be in prison for life.

I guess there is a big difference between immigration punishment and IRS punishment. INS will deport people and the IRS will only charge them. So the IRS might have sent 100s of letter collecting money back from his clients and no one complained about him. It was a different story on the immigration mistakes because the punishment was deportation and at that point, they complained about him. I was laughing was they said they caught him and they were going to put him in jail only 6 months. He needs to be in prison for life.

I would agree here ---- but my overall belief is that our society is going on a downward trend because --- everybody wants to be nice to the "perps" and not (put in your own words -- scare, hinder, debase, embarrass, etc.) the actual people doing the "WRONG". That is why we have "country club prisons, etc. --- so the people who only take life savings, etc. from families (and ruin them - almost as much as taking actual life) do NOT get thrown into those places who have the "REAL (/s)" bad people who robed a store, did drugs, etc..         If you do wrong, then -- do the time --- wherever it might be.

Ever notice that as actual punishment lessens -- people tend to do more bad things?

AGAIN --- personal responsibility --- regardless.      rant // put on time out///

• Like 1

I would agree here ---- but my overall belief is that our society is going on a downward trend because --- everybody wants to be nice to the "perps" and not (put in your own words -- scare, hinder, debase, embarrass, etc.) the actual people doing the "WRONG". That is why we have "country club prisons, etc. --- so the people who only take life savings, etc. from families (and ruin them - almost as much as taking actual life) do NOT get thrown into those places who have the "REAL (/s)" bad people who robed a store, did drugs, etc..         If you do wrong, then -- do the time --- wherever it might be.

Ever notice that as actual punishment lessens -- people tend to do more bad things?

AGAIN --- personal responsibility --- regardless.      rant // put on time out///

Fully agreed. You just provided me with a delicious mental image of what Bernie Madoff would be experiencing in the general population of prison...Sigh.

Think of it this way ---- INS goes out and looks for those they want.     IRS has problems/preparers REPORTED to them, and what do they do (congress cutting the IRS money not being counted here).

The Service is dropping the ball on investigating problem preparers, Treasury inspectors say. IRS failed to investigate more than one-third of preparers

who were referred to area offices for possible malfeasance. Inspectors took a look at those who fell through the cracks and found many instances in which preparers

had greatly overstated deductions and credits or had filed bogus Schedule Cs to inflate the amount of refundable tax credits, such as the earned income credit.

Others looked to be committing identity theft.

We all try to do a good job and be compliant because we are professionals and WANT TO DO --- the RIGHT THING. Part of that is not wanting the penalties, etc. from the IRS.  Here apparently it proves to be a "crap shoot" as by the above findings --- even if actually turned in --- we may or may not be contacted!

Full disclosure --- due to my experience and "luck" -- if you are even vaguely affiliated with me --- you will be caught --- since childhood (remember when the dinosaurs roamed) -- God has kept me inline by making sure if I did something even a little wrong/incorrect (by mistake or willingly)--- it would be known.  That has always extended to those I know too --- so beware --- :dunno: .

• Like 1