ATX Community

Leasing a Car Through The Business

ETax847

A prospect came into my office saying his previous accountant said he could lease a car through his business (S Corp) and write nearly the entire thing off, even though he would have some personal use with it.  Does anyone know of a good source of information on this topic?

Thanks

Would personal use of a company-owned car go on his W-2; therefore, letting the company deduct all between Auto Expense and Wages/Officer Compensation.  The officer/employee will have the extra W-2 income and resulting taxes, though.  And, I'll bet the insurance will be higher as owned by the company.  Still have to track biz vs. personal mileage.

Personal use will go on his W2.  I hope the company has an accountable plan or else ALL the use goes on the W2 and the client deducts the business portion on Sch A (subject to 2%).  I was at an IRS liaison meeting once where the agent said the only company vehicle that the IRS believes has no personal use is a cement mixer!

• Like 1