ATX Community

Time Tracking Software: What does your office use and why?

SFA

Am wondering what type of software is used in your practice to track time spent on client work.

We have been using excel spreadsheets, but believe we should upgrade to a professional time and billing program.

During tax season, we have an office of ten employees. We also use the same excel time sheets to track hours for the weekly payroll.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Since there aren't any other responses yet, I'll tell you what I use for freelance website development.  

http://www.freshbooks.com/

It has time tracking through the web interface, but I primarily use the android app on my phone to clock in and out of specific projects/clients I'm working on.  It has decent reporting features and does invoicing, and allows clients to pay the invoice online with a credit card.

The cheapest $20/mo package works for me because I don't need more than 25 clients.  Most of my clients are marketing/design firms who outsource their website development to me, so just a few of them bring me most of my work.  The next step up is $30/mo and unlimited clients.

If you're looking for more standard desktop computer software, I guess QuickBooks is a common choice.  There are apparently time tracking applications available that integrate with it, but I don't have any experience with that.

http://marketplace.intuit.com/v2/f-time-tracking/software-solutions.aspx