ATX Community

Name to use on POA for newly married - I should know this

BulldogTom

Help please.  I know I should know this but I am having a brain cramp.

My client just got a notification from the IRS for an error on her return.  I know what the problem is and can fix it easily. 

Problem is, the client just married a couple of months ago.  How do I fill out the POA?  With her name at the time of filing, which matches the IRS notice, or with her married name, which does not match the IRS notice?

Or hyphenate the name?

It should not be this hard....and tax season is just starting.

Tom

Newark, CA

^ that. My preferred method is to enter the name that matches the return and notice. Then I'd mention the name change early in the correspondence or in the re: section of the letter, especially if documents are attached that were issued with the new name on them.

Edited by jklcpa
to show that this is MY PREFERENCE!!!!!!
  • Like 1

You are correct Jack.  [No surprise there.]  But we also know that now and then you run into an idiot at the IRS, or maybe they are just having a bad day, so they try to get rid of you fast by demanding something they do not really need.  I know I have.  So while she's there signing one, it's so easy to have her sign two, just in case.  I once had an agent ask me for a POA for the client's LLC, even tho it was a disregarded entity.  I will always believe he was just running late and wanted an excuse to put off the appointment but put the blame on me.  

• Like 1

Overthinking, Overthinking, Overthinking!!  The lady may use EITHER name and it is proper and legal.  Overthinking, Overthinking!!

I'm not overthinking this at all, but your post with five "overthinkings", multiple explanation points, and shouting in capitals is overreacting!!!!!!!!!!  Neither KC or I said you were wrong. 

In my post I simply stated my preference, and I'm also not going to leave anything to some agent's imagination why a document is different. One simple sentence or line takes care of it.