ATX Community

Deselecting Auto Update in Older ATX Programs

David

I am trying change preferences in my ATX programs to not auto update. In the 2008 and previous years auto update doesn't appear in preferences or anywhere else as far as I can tell. Only forms update appears in preferences.

How do I change the earlier year ATX programs to not allow auto update?

Thanks.

I am trying change preferences in my ATX programs to not auto update. In the 2008 and previous years auto update doesn't appear in preferences or anywhere else as far as I can tell. Only forms update appears in preferences.

How do I change the earlier year ATX programs to not allow auto update?

Thanks.

This is what I remember from using those older programs: 

the manual forms update feature was launched by clicking an icon on the menu bar that opened a screen where choices of the forms and states could be made. That screen had a check box at the top (maybe on the right?) that said something like "check for program updates" that allowed any available program updates to download in that same session along with the form updates. I'd make sure that is unchecked, and also make the appropriate selection/deselection in the preferences for shutting off the automatic updating of forms.

What I can't remember is if there is another spot with a similar check box that needs to be unchecked besides on that manual forms update screen.  Sorry the earliest year I have installed on my machine is 2009.

to David:

For years 2002 through 2006 there isn't a preference setting for automatic form update when the program opens.

For years 2007 through 2009 go to Return Manager and click the "Updates" icon or , "Preferences", "Form Updates" and then be sure box labeled "All Forms" is unchecked then click "Apply" and "close".

If you choose the updates icon from the toolbar, choose the box "Preferences" and then uncheck the "All Forms" box, then "apply", then "close".

When you restart the program, the forms routine should not start.

For years 2010 and 2011, you can follow the same steps for the forms, however, my experience is it doesn't stop the program from checking for program updates.

Since 2011 is still open for amendments you may want to keep the 2011 forms update active until next year.

2012, 2013 and 2014 programs have boxes in Preferences, Updates tab to uncheck both Program updates and Form updates to keep the program from updating both program and forms.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I updated prior year ATX programs and unchecked the auto update box.

I just prepared a 2014 tax organizer in the 2013 program and was able to print it and save it but I received the Error Box saying an error was encountered while communicating with the ATX server. Would you like to retry?

Usually, when I click on Retry it works. Now I can't click on Retry, the X or anything. Everything is grayed out. I can't even get rid of the box.

Oh boy, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to use prior year ATX programs. That shouldn't be the case since I paid for all those years.

Anyone know what I need to do to be able to use the prior year programs? I'll need to prepare an amended 2011 soon.

Thanks.