ATX Community

Shared Responsibility Payment

Chowdahead

Please refresh my memory, but based on the worksheet in the instructions   can the Shared Responsibility Payment may be prorated by the number of months that the person didn't have insurance in 2014?

Yes, that is correct. If the penalty applies for less than a full calendar year, it is prorated to 1/12 of the annual penalty for each month without coverage.

Fairly new Schedule C clients just left my office. Wife obtained health insurance for herself and 2 children thru the marketplace.

Husband has an ITIN (No Green Card, No SSN) has been working in the US for many years. Now I know that given his status, that

he doesn't qualify to obtain any coverage thru the marketplace. I don't expect anyone to do my research for me.

If anyone knows without looking it up, just wondering if he is subject to the SRP penalties ?

Fairly new Schedule C clients just left my office. Wife obtained health insurance for herself and 2 children thru the marketplace.

Husband has an ITIN (No Green Card, No SSN) has been working in the US for many years. Now I know that given his status, that

he doesn't qualify to obtain any coverage thru the marketplace. I don't expect anyone to do my research for me.

If anyone knows without looking it up, just wondering if he is subject to the SRP penalties ?

If he is required to file a tax return, he is subject to the penalty.

Not sure if it's applicable but there is a mention of it in the exemptions.  Of course, residency for tax purposes is different than for immigration purposes so I'm not sure.

From the 8965 Instructions:

Not a U.S. citizen, not a U.S. national, and not an individual lawfully present in the U.S. For

more information about who is treated as lawfully present for purposes of this coverage
exemption, visit healthcare.gov.