ATX Community

So I Did a Return Through Turbo Tax Online

Chowdahead

The medal always has two side, you know ....

I am amazed how most of you are surprised by TT experience! Haven't you tried before any free or trial version of such self-prepared tax return preparation softwares so far!? We do this every season at least to know to what we face and what to expect.

Actually the main point here is that all these programs are softwares for self-prepared tax return - you know, that means no preparer, no fee, no extra spend. Remember this. Add IRS " ... it is the taxpayer who is ultimately responsible for all the information on the tax return." and we get the clear picture. :)

Your can read about the miraculous "nonprofit coalition of industry-leading tax software companies partnered with the IRS" here and here.

Edited by TaxMan60601
  • Like 2

The medal always has two side, you know ....

I am amazed how most of you are surprised by TT experience! Haven't you tried before any free or trial version of such self-prepared tax return preparation softwares so far!? We do this every season at least to know to what we face and what to expect.

Actually the main point here is that all these programs are softwares for self-prepared tax return - you know, that means no preparer, no fee, no extra spend. Remember this. Add IRS " ... it is the taxpayer who is ultimately responsible for all the information on the tax return." and we get the clear picture. :)

Your can read about the miraculous "nonprofit coalition of industry-leading tax software companies partnered with the IRS" here and here.

I hear you. But the fact of the matter, I have a hard enough time keeping my head above water, or put another way, my sleep time is way to precious to spend time doing the kind of research you seem to have time to do. I guess if this clientele was a bigger part of my practice, I suppose I would take the time. But it just isn't. So I enjoy reading about others experiences. Another case of displaying how all of our practices differ in many ways.

Haven't you tried before any free or trial version of such self-prepared tax return preparation softwares so far!? ... to know what we face and what to expect.

No, I used one of those about 20 years ago and know how they work, and how they have extensive interview features to help the user along. They aren't bad programs and serve many people well, but those aren't the type of clients I currently have, or that I want to market and expand into.  I'm also not worried about any of my clients leaving me to self-prepare their own returns. Also, I don't base my pricing on outsiders' costs, whether it be from these self-prep programs or the big box outfits of HRB or JH.

• Like 2