ATX Community

When does filing OH local tax forms end?

joanmcq

Client is technically an Ohio resident due to military.  She's been filing a military exemption in Upper Arlington for many years, but no longer has any connection to Upper Arlington; her parents have moved and she hasn't lived there since she entered the military.  Does she still need to file?  If not, is there something she should file so that RITA will leave her alone?

I did a search and found this http://www.uaoh.net/department/index.php?structureid=20

About half way down the right side is a Declaration of Exemption form although for 2013. Item 2 is for member of armed forces. An issue with many of these municipalities is that they don't want and can't afford to miss any possible tax income so are pretty rigorous with filing.

I think that might do it while still filing an Ohio return as a legal Ohio resident. When some clients of mine moved to Australia, they ceased having a muni or school district filing requirement but, due to deferred income, still had to file a state return.

Client is technically an Ohio resident due to military.  She's been filing a military exemption in Upper Arlington for many years, but no longer has any connection to Upper Arlington; her parents have moved and she hasn't lived there since she entered the military.  Does she still need to file?  If not, is there something she should file so that RITA will leave her alone?

The city (RITA) will base the need to file on what is considered her domicile.  Members and spouses of military have some special considerations.  I have a contact number for the head guy at RITA.  I will find it and message it to you.  He can answer your question more thoroughly than I.