ATX Community

New Computer - Issue with restoring 2013 returns for rollover

gfizer

After several days of barely restraining myself from throwing my misbehaving computer out the door I finally ran out of patience and just purchased a new system.  I have reinstalled all my software but now I am unable to restore the 2013 returns in the 2013 software so that they will show up for rollover in the 2014 software.  Anyone have any experience with this?

You have two choices:

1.  Use the import/export function to move the client files from the old computer to the new computer. This is what I have always used and it works pretty smoothly, never had any issues, but it does not transfer each clients efile info.

2. Use the backup/restore function to move the client files from the old computer to the new computer. Have never done it this way other users say it works fine and it brings over more client info. Either way, it doesn't bring over everything ie payer files,

several days ago, ATX helped a user bring over all of the other misc files per a post on the ATX Board

• Like 2

You have two choices:

1.  Use the import/export function to move the client files from the old computer to the new computer. This is what I have always

used and it works pretty smoothly, never had any issues, but it does not transfer each clients efile info.

On the new computer I purchased for this season, using the import/export function brought over the e-file info as well. (for 2013) I dont think this was the case in the past. Did ATX change something?

On the new computer I purchased for this season, using the import/export function brought over the e-file info as well. (for 2013) I dont think this was the case in the past. Did ATX change something?

Mine also brought over ALL of the information.  Gfizer, this is why I export each return to a jump drive as I am working on it.  If you cannot access your files on your old computer, I have no clue.  If you can, it is smooth as silk.

• Like 1

After several days of barely restraining myself from throwing my misbehaving computer out the door I finally ran out of patience and just purchased a new system.  I have reinstalled all my software but now I am unable to restore the 2013 returns in the 2013 software so that they will show up for rollover in the 2014 software.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Did you update the software? I have had problems in the past trying to back up from one version and restore to another.

Okay.  My 2013 software has been populated with all the 2013 returns but none of them will open.  I get this message, "The return you've selected cannot be opened.  Please restore a previous version of the return and try again."  Obviously, since they won't open in the 2013 program, they won't rollover in the 2014 program.

I am SOO frustrated.  I guess a lengthy call with support is in order.  Thankfully my old system is still up and running so until everything is resolved I can rollover on the old machine, export and then import onto the new computer.  Aaaarrrggghhhh!!

Okay.  My 2013 software has been populated with all the 2013 returns but none of them will open.  I get this message, "The return you've selected cannot be opened.  Please restore a previous version of the return and try again."  Obviously, since they won't open in the 2013 program, they won't rollover in the 2014 program.

I am SOO frustrated.  I guess a lengthy call with support is in order.  Thankfully my old system is still up and running so until everything is resolved I can rollover on the old machine, export and then import onto the new computer.  Aaaarrrggghhhh!!

That is the difference between export/import and restore.  Restoring from a backup file will eliminate that problem.

• Like 1

Interesting post from ATX:

Jane P,

The payer information is not transferred using the Import/Export method. However that is the recommended way to move your return data to a new machine as the backup/restore feature for 2013 works best on a local machine, but is not the most efficient when moving to a new machine, which has been enhanced for the 2014 software.

If you have access to the original machine that the data was stored on, a flash drive, and both machines are connected to the internet I would suggest a call to Support and we can make sure we move the necessary data over to the new machine for 2013, which will include your companies, payers, and preparers.

Beau
Product Support Representative
CCH Small Firm Service

• Like 1