ATX Community

MA health care question

joanmcq

Client moved to MA in June and got Mass Health. Decided later that MA was not for her, and this Month moved back to CA. Did not earn much in MA & qualified during that period.

1st question: does MA use total year income like the ACA would to qualify a person for Mass Health?

2nd question: what is the form she will be getting and can she get it online? If so, where?

And is she automatically re-enrolled or would she have had to requalify as of dec. 31?

Hi Joan --

If she files MA part-year or non-resident they pretty much don't care; the Schedule HC does not get submitted with a Form 1 NR/PY.

MassHealth (and ALL the other state-involved plans) does NOT send out the form 1099-HC that all "civilian" plans are required to send.  The insurance card and the client's word of when covered is the substitute, for the most part.  Sometimes you will see a determination letter that says when coverage started - but I've never seen one that states when it ended.  

No form is available online to my knowledge but she could try the Health Connector (MA state health ins site) to see; that site has been shut down periodically lately and I forget why.

Don't know about the automatic requalification as of Dec 31; I know they want to see annual MA tax forms but that's not 'til April; perhaps they assume 'til then?

Hope that helped.