ATX Community

Interesting?

kcjenkins

Well,

I have a number of clients that spend zero time on those tasks...

They are broke, but working all the time, so there is that that.

You gotta run the Biz.  And that is accounting...

Rich

I can't get over the stupid choices business owners make.  I have three right now who are behind on remitting sales tax.  Their monthly penalties are more than my accounting fees.  They won't be in business long.

• Like 1

But have you pointed it out to them, in direct language, that they could save money by hiring you to do it for them?  Don't assume that because that is obvious to you it is to them.

They HAVE hired me to do it.  And they give me the information late.  Every.  Single.  Time.  They don't think my fees are bad.  But the problem is they don't even care about the penalties.  People like this can never run a business.  So much better off working for someone else who has some self-discipline.

• Like 2

They HAVE hired me to do it.  And they give me the information late.  Every.  Single.  Time.  They don't think my fees are bad.  But the problem is they don't even care about the penalties.  People like this can never run a business.  So much better off working for someone else who has some self-discipline.

I have a couple like that too.  One in particular did over a million dollars in business in 2014 almost by accident.  But he cannot pay his four figure sales tax on time every month - matter of fact, hasn't for a couple of years.  This guy is just managing the business (as opposed to owning it (mommy and step daddy own the business but are simply investors).  I had a meeting with the three of them mid-fall and told the manager that his margins are entirely too tight if he cannot pay the bills with that kind of revenue.  He gave me every excuse in the book why he couldn't broaden the margin.  He headed me off at every suggestion.  At the end of the meeting he said he needed to borrow some more money to pay the bills.  I looked at the owners and simply asked - are you willing to put more at risk based upon what you have just heard?  They looked at the manager and one of them said something like - make it work, we are not investing or borrowing anymore money.  So far, it has been the same old, same old.  Time will tell who cracks first.

• Like 2