ATX Community

60-year client with 41-year old dependent

Janitor Bob

My client (Age 60) has self-only coverage all year through her employer.  She claims her 41-year old son as a dependent because he lives with her, but has zero income.  The son does not have health coverage at all in 2014.  I assume client will pay penalty unless an exemption applies?

Also...in determining if coverage was un-affordable (Exemption A), would I just use the marketplace price of the bronze plan for the 41-year old son?

My client (Age 60) has self-only coverage all year through her employer.  She claims her 41-year old son as a dependent because he lives with her, but has zero income.  The son does not have health coverage at a;; in 2014.  I assume client will pay penalty unless an exemption applies?

Also...in determining if coverage was un-affordable (Exemption A), would I just use the marketplace price of the bronze plan for the 41-year old son?

I just looked at the new worksheets on Form 8965.  Follow the steps on the affordability worksheets and it will properly calculate if they are eligible for exemption or if they are subject to the "Shared Responsibility Payment" (hereafter referred to as penalty).

• Like 1