ATX Community

Filing Form 8965

Dan

I have read on this board that you must file Form 8965 with the return.

If you look at Form 8965 near the top, it says:  "Complete this form if you have a Marketplace-granted coverage exemption or you are claiming a coverage exemption on your return."  

Adjusted gross income of $23,091

I have gone through the Marketplace coverage Affordability and Affordability worksheets and find that the client's cost for insurance was below the affordability threshold thus the client will have to pay the "Shared Responsibility Payment" on Form 1040, page 2, line 61 of $129.

But Form 8965 will not have to be filed because as I have stated above, client is not claiming any of the exemptions on that form.

If I am wrong, let me know in the instructions where this is wrong?  Also in watching the great video of the person who had no insurance for all 12 months of 2014,  it did not show the person marking one of the boxes in part II (7a & 7b) of form 8965 but just going over to the Shared Responsibility payment worksheet.  

Thanks!

Edited by Dan

I agree with you. If the taxpayer can not check the box on line 61 of the 1040 and does not meet any of the exemptions, then the worksheets in the instructions are used to calculate the shared responsibility payment to be included on the return. The form 8965 is not filed with the return.  The worksheets are not filed either but should be retained to document the calculations.

I read your post from the other day on this subject, and at first it seemed to me that you were confusing the worksheet with the form.  For what it's worth, the worksheets are never e-filed with the returns unless the IRS specifically requires it.

Dan,

I agree with you and Judy.   Earlier I was adamant above filing the 8965 and stated so.   In an earlier post, I changed my understanding (just today (actually about 15 min ago) and posted a change.

You two are correct.    I just needed to re-read (slowly) the 8965 first page of instructions.    Sorry for the earlier mis-statement.