ATX Community

Efiling requiring previous MAGI

Pacun

Someone brought a good point about stopping identification theft. I used to select that the client entered its own pin and I used to enter the previous MAGI. When people amended returns, I used to get a few rejections from the IRS and I would make the adjustment and that didn't bother me.

I always didn't follow ATX's suggestion to use ERO entered but this year I got about 3 rejections in a row and all of them because I was using that the taxpayer was entering its own PIN, so I stopped doing that and now I (ERO) enter the PIN and I don't get any rejections. Why does the IRS doesn't take out that ERO choice and force people to enter their own PIN and enter their prior MAGI? This practice, as someone pointed out on another post, will eliminate at least 80% of returns filed by someone else.

ON another subject, before the IRS required to efile all returns, I was doing it. I also have used ONLY one ERO's pin for ALL the returns I have prepared in the past 10 years. If I am not mistaken, that's a requirement now or in the future. I anticipate that the IRS will require prior year's MAGI in the near future to stop identity theft and this time I will not be ready because I just changed my modus operandi this year after 3 rejections in one shipment.