ATX Community

History of bonus depreciation?

Margaret CPA in OH

In order to analyze client assets over time to determine whether proper depreciation was taken, it would be helpful to know which years had bonus depreciation and how much. I was not entirely successful in finding this.

A google search brought up a nice article with a table that goes back to 2001 and ends with placed in service after 12.31.11. So I think it will be easy to confirm 2013 and 2014! Was 2001, in fact, the first year? And how far back do we need to go for 3115 assuming the asset is still being depreciated?

My teeth are grinding and my eyes are flickering with this mainly because one client with several rentals is on my case to get this done. The fact that he is on a payment plan for an omitted 1099R from 2011 has everything to do with it. He's hoping the refund for 2014 will cover the balance due. I have everything finished save this and am concerned that there may be more tax due and an unhappy client (what else is new?).

Thanks!