ATX Community

Regret letter sample

ILLMAS

Regrets? I've had a few. Here's an article with some samples, sorry got nothing on my computer at the moment. I like vague, and I don't recommend another preparer, unless I really want to stick it the client and I recommend the hateful woman who overcharges. I like the "It's Not You, It's Me":

http://www.nicholasreese.com/problem-client-scripts/

Edited by RitaB
  • Like 3

Here's one i sent early this year for an out of state client who kept sending her papers to me later and later every year and was nearly impossible to get a hold of.

Dear XXXX,

Hello, I hope you have been well.

After careful consideration, I have come to the conclusion that I will be unable to continue to prepare your tax returns. Due to the demands of new onerous tax legislation and the absence of my executive administrative assistant, I anticipate being overwhelmed with work. I also feel that you would be best served by a tax preparer local to you.

It has been a pleasure serving you through the years. Thank you so much for the past business and trust that you placed in us. I wish you the best of luck in the future.

Thank you,  

Of course, insert your own excuses...

• Like 6

I like:

"Dear ex-client,

It has been real.  I have chosen for you to no longer employ me.  Good luck to you now and in the future.

Sincerely"

The others have posted some excellent suggestions and clearly more professional than mine.  Mine is short, sweet and to the point - and removes any finger pointing - and removes all editorializing - and removes any doubt about the point.  KISS

• Like 4