ATX Community

Help I can't get new asset activity

ljwalters

Thanks Jasdlm.

I did what you said and it works. gassssp.

Been working on this return for 6 hrs now and did not need this.

Two clients got married and trying to combine their returns.  Both extensive returns.

I don't know what it is about my office. I have lost many returns by marriage.  Three this year alone. (6 down to 3)

Thanks Jasdlm.

I did what you said and it works. gassssp.

Been working on this return for 6 hrs now and did not need this.

Two clients got married and trying to combine their returns.  Both extensive returns.

I don't know what it is about my office. I have lost many returns by marriage.  Three this year alone. (6 down to 3)

You should check your office policies, maybe single people wait too long when they come to have their taxes prepared and they end up talking to other singles while they wait for you. I have a policy to schedule: single, MFJ, retired, student, MFJ, single, etc. Maybe you should do the same. lol.

• Like 4

I have a policy where I give a free tax return in the year a couple is married. It is my wedding gift to them. Thank goodness I never had 3 in one year!

But I have had some divorce and remarry, I want to kid them they are doing that for free tax returns!!!!

Usually old client brings friend to be new client.  Then after a couple of years I hear "oh by the way we got married."  One client actually discussed the ramification of taxes if the got married.  I told them marriage has nothing to do with taxes except for the penalty.

Advised the lower earner to change the W-2 withholding and up the 401K contributions to max on both.

"And by the way I charge double for the first year to combine all the information into one. "

Believe it or not, I have to tell them I'm kidding.

Maybe they come in to get a good look at their future prospects income and if they owe any back taxes.

I do ask each client "are you sure you want some one else in here while we discuss your return?"

Most say sure its okay and I document.  But one told me No and made an appointment for later.  They are not together any more.   I still do both returns.

• Like 1