ATX Community

Real Estate Question

MsTabbyKats

I have no experience with this....

Client bought a property he was planning to rent in 2014.

He didn't rent it...and he spent a lot to upgrade.

His income is too high to take a loss for 2014.

I was planning on just doing the E...since he "planned" on renting it out.

Now he decides he wants to sell it (I assume for more than he paid...including the upgrades)

What happens?

Should I bother with the E?   Will it be a short term gain?  Will the disallowed loss (if I do an E) from 2014 be deducted from the gain?

TIA

Did he place in service in 2014? Advertise for rent but received no applicants? Sometimes plans don't work out but if it was placed in service, renters actively sought, I would prepare the E. In my opinion, too bad if he couldn't take the loss. Presumably this wise investor knew what he was doing. If he just 'planned' on renting it without even trying, then I would consider it an investment property for 2014 and crunch the numbers when he sells.

• Like 1

It appears as though nothing reportable happened in 2014. If it is sold in 2015, report it then, sale or rental, as the details dictate.

One of my clients did just the opposite. Bought and rehabbed a property intending to flip it with a nice gain. It didn't sell so he rented it in January. There was nothing to report in 2014 but will be in 2015.

• Like 1